Klx250SF Avon distanzia tire review

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Klx250SF Avon distanzia tire review

So I've had these tires for a decent amount of time (6k on the rear close to 4k on the front) so I'd figure I'd do a small review, nothing too in depth, but maybe if someone who has an SF was looking for some 90/10 tires and was considering the avons I could shed some light with my experience.

Pros:
Longevity of 130/80/17 rear tire (dual sport compound) is remarkable. 6k miles of backing it in, sliding and skidding the rear tire, and HARD launching and shifting, and you have to be focused hard to see a flat spot in the center (it's barely there).

Normal wear of front tire 120/70/17 compared to other supermoto compound tires

Good road grip, wheelies stoppies, peg scrapping cornering etc. (Note, the 130/80/17 is tall and it can be intimidating to corner hard since the front feels like it's always in a dive)

Wet traction on front tire is impressive, stoppies no problem in the rain, only pushes on shiny wet surfaces i.e crosswalks, manhole covers...

Decent dirt grip, I probably push the tires harder than they should be pushed off-road (loose rocky up hill climbs etc.) and they perform well.

Look pretty cool on a supermoto

Cons:

Price: I think I payed close to $300 for a set

Wet road traction with the 130/80/17 is a joke. Might as well be riding on ice.

Lack of wet road traction makes locking up the rear as simple as looking at the rear brake or down shifting causing the engine brake rpm to exceed 5k rpm

Truly is not a dirt tire, but don't expect it to be and this really isn't a con

Lack of tire sizes. Limited to 120/70/17 front 130/80/17 (DS) rear or 140/70/17 (supermoto) rear which I've heard can rub.

Here are a couple pictures of my front and rear tires.

The rear tire has ~6133 miles, and by the looks of it will last me close to 2k more. Front has about 4k and probably will last me another 2k as well.

Willing to answers any questions. Thanks

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-06-2014, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

My brother runs them on his Buell Ulysses and my friend runs them on his DRz400SM. My friend and I do a lot of dirt/gravel roads and they work well.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Cool there should be a SF tire thread..

Nice review, wish I had seen it sooner but oh well..

I seriously considered getting these tires too, yet ended up purchasing a kenda k761 for the rear and a heinadeau k73 for the front. Didn't have much choice in sizing for these tires either. I'm running 130/70/17 rear and 120/70/17 up front.

The larger front tire from stock is extremely different in handling. I might chop an inch or so off each end of my pro-taper bars for more leverage- it wasn't noticeable with the shinkos but wider bars really effects the reaction time when turning and (trying) to push steer with a larger/heavier front tire.

Haven't put much time on the new shoes, but so far- so good. They handled superbly on the highway in pouring rain as well as on cold days with little tire warm up time. I went from shinko 244's to these as I am doing far more road riding than trail. I don't miss the knobbies on the highways, oh how long it's been since I had the IRCs.......

Motorcycle Street Tires - Heidenau Tires

K761 Dual Sport

They match up pretty good as far as tread design is concerned too- if you care about that sorta thing.. The rear kinda looks like an expanded version of the front

Old 03-07-2014, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation

Originally Posted by CC_Rider
I might chop an inch or so off each end of my pro-taper bars for more leverage-

Ummm, shorter bars = less leverage.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er

Ummm, shorter bars = less leverage.
Ditto on that.
I put those Kenda's on my beamer..... removed them after 200miles. They were out of round or something. Over 50mph and the bike would shake like you were on a gravel road.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Ditto on that.
I put those Kenda's on my beamer..... removed them after 200miles. They were out of round or something. Over 50mph and the bike would shake like you were on a gravel road.
Oh I forgot! I believed I went though 2 front tires from the manufacturer because the first tire were out of round! WTF!? It could have just been bad luck but I've heard similar stories from a couple friends with drz's

Old 03-07-2014, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Good road grip, wheelies stoppies, peg scrapping cornering etc. (Note, the 130/80/17 is tall and it can be intimidating to corner hard since the front feels like it's always in a dive)

Wet traction on front tire is impressive, stoppies no problem in the rain, only pushes on shiny wet surfaces i.e crosswalks, manhole covers...
Hhmmmm...I sorta remember someone saying they DON'T stunt!

Anyway I also have the Disatanzia on mine, 120/70/17 front and the 150/60/17 rear... fits perfect! Mine are both SM compund. The front is wearing normally, but the rear at around 2000mi is wearing, looks like i will only get another 2k out of it before its toast. that being said they are a bit pricey
but I would buy them again!

P.S. they suck in the snow!

Old 03-07-2014, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I admit nothing!

Last edited by RockabillSlapMatt; 03-07-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Lightbulb

... Good road grip, wheelies stoppies, peg scrapping cornering etc. (Note, the 130/80/17 is tall and it can be intimidating to corner hard since the front feels like it's always in a dive) ...
I admit nothing!
Quoted for posterity.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

The kenda has no issues, srry to hear about your bad tire experience.. mine is going well. No one is curious about the Heidenau rain master?

As for "more leverage" and your ever present communicative corrections, I will have more movement (turning) at the wheel with less manipulation of the bars if I chop them down...As it stands my "extra leverage" is working against me, so thinning up the span makes sense. Think of a smaller steering wheel, more response..

You kids are always so quick to point out small communicative errors... :/

Quick Reply: Klx250SF Avon distanzia tire review