KLX250s Pricing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 04:59 AM
Default KLX250s Pricing question

So I have my eyes set on getting a KLX250s as my very first dual sport bike coming from a crotchrocket riding background. I am currently looking at an 09 KLX250S with about 9k on the odo. What are the usual pricing for these bikes go for in cali? And also any common issues with these bikes that might be worth noting? Thanks a bunch in advanced and I honestly cant wait to get my hands on a kawi KLX250s and be able to join the club!

Old 04-15-2015, 05:17 AM
1st Gear Member

For used, the prices lately seem to be around 3-4k. last year when I bought mine I was seeing them as low as the 2500 range.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Used they typically sell for $2,500-$3,500.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Just looked at Kelly Blue Book yesterday - $3095 for an 09

But condition and all comes into play I paid $2000 on an 09 that needed a bit of stuff, bad chain/sprockets, KX front and rear rotors, rear was too small, and its share of blemishes plus 15,000 miles (not at all scary to me, just broken in). My brother bought a perfect 06 or 7 I forget, paying I think $2400, but it was perfect in all ways with only one scratch from something that fell in a garage, paint under the frame was unmarred - I think around 5000 miles. So it's all about condition and a bit for miles - plus where you are located. Both of ours were in the area around Columbus Ohio, his was on Craigslist and mine was on ebay, but the buyer didn't buy and I got it direct, not through ebay.

It would have to be perfect in my area to pay $3095, $2800 makes more sense.

Last edited by klx678; 04-15-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:44 AM

Thanks for the price averages guys! so i can be looking anywhere from 2000-3000 bucks then depending on condition and mileage, sounds good. Also any ideas where i can get part numbers or websites to buy supermoto wheels and good supermoto tires for the bike?

Old 04-16-2015, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by randomphntm
Thanks for the price averages guys! so i can be looking anywhere from 2000-3000 bucks then depending on condition and mileage, sounds good. Also any ideas where i can get part numbers or websites to buy supermoto wheels and good supermoto tires for the bike?
You'd be better off hunting around for a set on eBay or something. Wheels and tires are so expensive you'd be better off just buying a second bike. You'd never get your money back on a new purchase.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by randomphntm
Buy the Supermoto version, then buy a set of KLX250/300 wheels. The rear hubs are the same, but brake rotors may not be. Front hubs will be the same except for the speedo drive depending on the year of the bike. The 2009-up have the electronic speedo drive and require the similar hub. The 18/21 wheel sets probably can be had for half or less than the 17s. Lot more common.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:12 AM
1st Gear Member

At this point some KLX are so cheap that you'd wind up with almost half more more of the price for the wheels and have a bike that is neither a great super moto or a good dirt bike.

A cheap set of wheels and tires is like a unicorn. Maybe they exist, but I have not seen them.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by taxonomy
At this point some KLX are so cheap that you'd wind up with almost half more more of the price for the wheels and have a bike that is neither a great super moto or a good dirt bike.

A cheap set of wheels and tires is like a unicorn. Maybe they exist, but I have not seen them.
I'd like to find that $1200 KLX250! There was a set of wheels for $600 in the sale and trade section.

As for good dirt or supermoto, my question to you would be - If you own a KLX250, why? Seems it would be a waste of money based on your comments.

No one that has done any research would buy the KLX expecting KTM handling and power. I know I certainly didn't. They buy it because it suits them in budget, skills, and/or expectations. That is why I have one. It is also why I own a trouble free 47,000 mile (started with 1710) KLX650 instead of a better dirt bike or supermoto. I cannot or do not want to pay for an excellent dirt bike, nor do I have the skills (any longer) to use one. I also will be lacing 17s to the 650 for similar reasons plus one more - I already have the bike.

Before I got the 250 the plan was to have 2 sets of wheels and I may still do that since I have the hubs and one of the rims. It would suit me fine to have one bike and two sets of rims. I was going that way due more to tire wear and vanity (17s look cool), not so much function. I learned early on that a good rider can make a dual sport work near on par with supermotos and actually saw a race where a rider on an ancient XR600R with street tires on the stock rims kicked some purpose built SM butt. I figure I could get maybe 8000-10,000 miles out of a set of street tires on pavement and probably increase my dirt/gravel back road mileage from the current all around use 4000 miles. Plus it will look cool.

A KLX250 rider can buy an extra set of rims and have a good street going play bike SM and a competent off roader, especially if the second set of wheels have knobbies on them. And walk away with money in pocket over having two bikes.

Oh, and it's only about a half hour to change wheels with an MX stand.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:32 AM

Hmmm im scratching my head a little here... i am planning to buy the bike to commute on and on occasions go off roading and ride some trails with it, nothing too crazy since i have no experience at all on a dirt bike of any sort. So what would the verdict be? should i still even bother buying a second set of supermoto wheels? or should i just forget about those since apparently they are very expensive and just stick with the knobbies and stock rim?

Quick Reply: KLX250s Pricing question