Is the KLX250S For Me??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Another one to consider is the Kawasaki Super Sherpa.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm 5'6" and riding both the KLX650 (not a KLR, a big version of the KLX250) and the KLX250... but I have a 32" inseam to the ground. Legs a bit long for 5'6", short in the upper body. That helps in handling the taller seat. If you happen to be a bit long in the legs you may find it will work fine.

The Kawasaki Super Sherpa is a great ride too, maybe a bit difficult to locate though.

Do a motorcycle riding course if you haven't actually ridden yourself, if nothing else, to generate confidence - although I'm certain you'd gain more than that from a course. Confidence in handling a motorcycle is 80% of the battle for a new rider. If you have confidence in your ability to ride the bike you can focus more attention on the road or trail.

I went to the 250 to start riding more trails. Significantly lower weight than the 650 making it feel almost like a mountain bike when I ride it. Having ridden the similar height 650 for over 15 years on road (as much dirt/gravel as possible) and light groomed trails, the 250 was refreshingly easy to ride and very nimble on good woods trails.

The only real must for a KLX250 is getting the carburetor jetting proper to make it quicker starting with less warm up time. The EPA/DOT lean jetting makes it cold blooded. The tried and true jetting changes it drastically for the good. Mine fires and goes virtually instantly now. Everything else is for performance gains or sound.

The KLX is a great bike to build skills. It has the frame and suspension to enable a rider to improve, with the adjustable suspension most others do not have. That is why I bought it. I have decent skills from the 650 and some ability that needs "dusted off" from my early riding years. The KLX is giving me the latitude to re-learn past skills and have some fun. It is built well enough in design to keep ahead of my skills for some time to come.

Last edited by klx678; 07-25-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome,
If it wasn't already said above, besides shaving the seat you can get lowering links if the KLX is too tall. It's a good compliment to the KLR650 and although some do it regularly, probably not the best freeway bike but riding up to 60-65 mph isn't bad for me. The power in stock condition is a little low for many but it has room to grow from jetting and pipe to big bore kits if you ever need that. Lots of aftermarket parts and support for it. The KLX is really a solid bike. I'm 6'1" and 205 lbs and have adjusted my '06 to fit well. My co-worker is about your size and rides her '07 in nearly stock condition and loves it.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by klx678
I'm 5'6" and riding both the KLX650 (not a KLR, a big version of the KLX250) and the KLX250... but I have a 32" inseam to the ground. Legs a bit long for 5'6", short in the upper body. That helps in handling the taller seat. If you happen to be a bit long in the legs you may find it will work fine.

The Kawasaki Super Sherpa is a great ride too, maybe a bit difficult to locate though.

Do a motorcycle riding course if you haven't actually ridden yourself, if nothing else, to generate confidence - although I'm certain you'd gain more than that from a course. Confidence in handling a motorcycle is 80% of the battle for a new rider. If you have confidence in your ability to ride the bike you can focus more attention on the road or trail.

I went to the 250 to start riding more trails. Significantly lower weight than the 650 making it feel almost like a mountain bike when I ride it. Having ridden the similar height 650 for over 15 years on road (as much dirt/gravel as possible) and light groomed trails, the 250 was refreshingly easy to ride and very nimble on good woods trails.

The only real must for a KLX250 is getting the carburetor jetting proper to make it quicker starting with less warm up time. The EPA/DOT lean jetting makes it cold blooded. The tried and true jetting changes it drastically for the good. Mine fires and goes virtually instantly now. Everything else is for performance gains or sound.

The KLX is a great bike to build skills. It has the frame and suspension to enable a rider to improve, with the adjustable suspension most others do not have. That is why I bought it. I have decent skills from the 650 and some ability that needs "dusted off" from my early riding years. The KLX is giving me the latitude to re-learn past skills and have some fun. It is built well enough in design to keep ahead of my skills for some time to come.
Whoa I didnt know there was a KLX650 xD How tall is it? And how heavy is it? Surprisingly I found a Super Sherpa in the city i live in for $3,000. I reaally like the KLX250 but everything else has a bigger gas tank lol. Nice! Thank you for taking the time to reply to me

Old 07-25-2014, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Another one to consider is the Kawasaki Super Sherpa.
Yeah its not bad! I just found one in my city :3

Old 07-25-2014, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member

You're now the proud owner of a Super Sherpa?

Old 07-25-2014, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
You're now the proud owner of a Super Sherpa?
No I contacted the owner, they sold it like months ago, never took the post down v.v D:
What a butt I got excited

Last edited by Echidnachimera; 07-25-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

We have both a battle-scruffied '09 XT250, with guards, plate, footpegs, jetting and a new-to-us '13 KLX250 that I am lowering for the wifey(5'3"). We shaved the seat foam 1.75" and I'm installing an adjustable rear link and bar risers in order to raise the fork tubes 1". This will get the bike`s seat down approx 2.75 inches.
I should mention that most of our riding is off-road, so easy touching is vital, according to the boss!
Once I get her accustomed to the KLX we'll likely be selling the XT250, which has been as bulletproof as my own DRZ400.

Thoughts:
The KLX has much more potential to upgrade, especially with the bigger bore kits, fuel tanks, etc., but it will cost quite a bit more to get it right.
The XT is tough to upgrade, not much out there, but the stock 10L tank gives very good range, getting at least 25 km/liter. They are similar to the Sherpa. The wife really loves her XT, her first off-road capable model, hope she'll get used to the KLX.

I wouldn`t dare sell the XT till she grants her approval of the KLX!

Last edited by Angier; 07-25-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Echidnachimera
Whoa I didnt know there was a KLX650 xD How tall is it? And how heavy is it? Surprisingly I found a Super Sherpa in the city i live in for $3,000. I reaally like the KLX250 but everything else has a bigger gas tank lol. Nice! Thank you for taking the time to reply to me
It's about as tall as the 250 is about 60lb heavier - all at the top so it feels twice as heavy - still the strongest 650 dual sport from Japan in spite of being out of production for several years.

Here is mine in its OEM "Barbie & Ken" graphics:

It is a great road ride, which is why I have 45,000 miles on it and plan to go supermoto since acquiring the KLX250. It is a real powerhouse on the road. Too heavy for me off road. Great at power sliding on dirt.

I live in the east and gas stations are a lot closer together. I do plan to fit one of the Rotopax gallon containers to the bike sometime:

My 650 gets 60 mpg and has a 3 gallon tank, so 180 miles is fine here in Ohio. The 250 with 2 gallons is just cutting it a bit slim. No problem in general road riding, just wouldn't want to get stranded on a trail or back road, even with friends. It's boring sitting and waiting for gas.

I ride with a friend who has about a 100 mile range and it isn't bad, we have never run out and not really gotten in an jam. So a 100 miles between fill ups isn't bad. Nice to get off the seat every so often and it is about the ride for us, not how far we can go in one sitting.

Just realized you'd be riding with a rolling tanker/transport there with the KLR650. Make your boyfriend carry a length of hose to siphon gas if needed!

Last edited by klx678; 07-26-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Mark you are one lucky duck! Those klx650s are the bomb! Closest thing similar is the xr650l, which while cool in its own way, is no klx650. (More power, better mpg, etc)