Is the KLX250S For Me??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Talking Is the KLX250S For Me??

Hey everyone! My boyfriend and I are getting bikes together so we can travel. I am only 18 but from the first time I stepped onto a bike with my step dad when I was 6 I knew it was what I wanted. My boyfriend got a 1998 KLR650 and holy crap was it huge! I wanted to try my best to get a Kawasaki. I am about 120lbs and 5'6, so I don't want anything to big or heavy. I wanted a good dual purpose bike, because like I said, I want to travel. From what I've read this one seems pretty great, I just wanted some second opinions as I'm very indecisive and don't know what to get!
Thanks!

Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

At your height I would bet the KLX would be a bit to tall for you, Yamaha has a model called the Yamaha XT 250 and its fuel injected, that one is the lowest sitting duel sport and would be worth looking at, I have a buddy that bought one for his wife at the same height as yourself and she loves it.

I rode it myself and I was very surprised at how comfortable it was and it had very good power, maybe even a little snapper than the KLX.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member

And there just happens to be a XT 250 in this week's Pennywise.
A 2013 for $4300. 367 number though
Check it out for size at least even if it were to be out of your budget.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya, the seat could be a little high. Have you gone to a dealership and sat on one? The seat can be shaved down if you go with an after market one like Seat Concepts.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Hello and welcome!
Id say i'm at a similar height and weight to yourself.
Before i purchased the KLX i did sit on it at the dealership and found this bike was quite tall.
However with the KLX having adjustable suspension it wasn't to difficult to lower the bike.
Now it feels great to ride, although dont expect a lot of power out of the little DS.

Good Luck

Old 07-24-2014, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by yzf125
At your height I would bet the KLX would be a bit to tall for you, Yamaha has a model called the Yamaha XT 250 and its fuel injected, that one is the lowest sitting duel sport and would be worth looking at, I have a buddy that bought one for his wife at the same height as yourself and she loves it.

I rode it myself and I was very surprised at how comfortable it was and it had very good power, maybe even a little snapper than the KLX.
Wow, yeah I just checked it out, its pretty nice! I like that it has a bit of a bigger fuel tank too. Thanks

Old 07-24-2014, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
And there just happens to be a XT 250 in this week's Pennywise.
A 2013 for $4300. 367 number though
Check it out for size at least even if it were to be out of your budget.
Awesome! Thank you I will check that out right away

Old 07-24-2014, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by zl PINHEAD lz
Hello and welcome!
Id say i'm at a similar height and weight to yourself.
Before i purchased the KLX i did sit on it at the dealership and found this bike was quite tall.
However with the KLX having adjustable suspension it wasn't to difficult to lower the bike.
Now it feels great to ride, although dont expect a lot of power out of the little DS.

Good Luck
Oh okay thats awesome! I didnt know that was an option, yeah I didnt expect much. How do you like your KLX? What do you primarily use it for?

Old 07-24-2014, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

KLX is an awesome little do-anything bike that is great to learn on.

Dont be put off by the height. I never put more than one foot down anyway.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Echidnachimera
Oh okay thats awesome! I didnt know that was an option, yeah I didnt expect much. How do you like your KLX? What do you primarily use it for?
Love it, looks cool, sounds great (with an aftermarket pipe) and feels so smooth to ride.
It gets used for everything, daily commute, weekend ride out with friends, dirt roads on occasion and everything else in between.