Klx250 tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Klx250 tuning

Bought a 1995 Klx250 and it had a bunch of work already done to it.

Ita got no airbox lid, a mikuni carb, and FMF exhaust. Wondering what I should be running for jets as I'm not sure the po tuned anything or dealt with any of the mods properly.

Im also confused about the exhaust. What is this abomination? Why would they cut and reweld it? Can I make it more stock? Potentially quieter?

Is this the stock header?

Also how do I identify what mikuni is on here?

Is this the normal airbox setup? No lid, no snorkel, big foam filter? Is there a better filter I can put in?

Attached Thumbnails Klx250 tuning-img_20160621_201654.jpg   Klx250 tuning-img_20160621_201705.jpg   Klx250 tuning-img_20160621_201733.jpg   Klx250 tuning-img_20160621_201745-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Jread; 06-27-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Congratulations on your bike and welcome to the forum.

I don't know what to tell you why the PO did that to the muffler. Those need occasional re-packing of the fiberglass packing material which typically involves drilling out the rivets, pulling apart, install new packing, then new rivets. I'd say it's probably trash and you want to look for a used stock or aftermarket unit. Ebay is your friend. Spend some time looking to see what other models will interchange (perhaps a KLX300). Or run it as is.

That looks to be the stock carb. Probably not a bad idea to pull it off, give it a good cleaning and check the jets.

Lid off the airbox is common. I run without one. You can see the PO put a larger breather hose on the crankcase vent and ran into the airbox, which isn't uncommon.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Sweet so from what you're saying everything is pretty normal and I shouldn't need a rejet?

I cleaned the carb, looks good.

The bike doesn't have a tach so I'm having a hard time telling whether its cutting off for lack of fuel or air or if its redlining. All my diagnostics comes from reading and numbers not from my butt since I haven't ridden that many bikes.

After I grab a better exhaust is there anything you suggest doing?

Old 06-27-2016, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh, and to your air filter. Yes, that one looks correct, but what condition is it in. If the foam is old, cracking, ripped, sloughing off in any way, replace it. I like the Moose Racing and TwinAir filters.

I can't tell you that the jetting is correct or incorrect. Change the oil yet? How are the chain and sprockets? Take more pics and post them up.

You'll probably want to check all the bearing sometime. Wheels, swingarm, linkage and steering head.

Go find some riding friends if possible and let a knowledgeable one you trust take your bike for a spin. They may know enough to tell why it won't rev higher.

Get some vent hoses on that carb.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Look here for carb id. :KLX Hop-Ups*-- PUMPER CARBS Looks like a 33mm Mikuni, not stock.

Identify the carb and we can help with jet sizes.

The outside diameter of my aftermarket header is 1 1/2". Can't find the stock header to measure it.

Ride on
Brewster

Last edited by Brewster; 06-27-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:37 PM
1st Gear Member

That site is pretty informative found it before! Thats why I was pretty sure it wasn't stock and fairly certain it is the Mikuni 33.

My header is 1 1/4" (1.3" at its widest but its not completely round)

Air filter seems good... Looks and feels like memory foam really weird. They seem cheap so may try and grab one when I'm in the USA next.

Going to do an oil change and check valve clearance, and replace coolant. Chain and sprockets are supposedly new, should lube them as the bike sat for a while.

One other thing I know I have to do is fork seals. They slowly leak.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jread
That site is pretty informative found it before! Thats why I was pretty sure it wasn't stock and fairly certain it is the Mikuni 33.

One other thing I know I have to do is fork seals. They slowly leak.
You may be able to just remove and clean the dust and oil seals and reuse them. Check the fork tubes for any scratches or dings that could damage the seals during operation.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 06-27-2016, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

^ Yup. Internet search for "clean fork seals"

I successfully used my library card once (it was the thinnest plastic card in my wallet). We cut a little hook in it like this tool: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/R...k-Seal-Cleaner

Old 06-27-2016, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice didn't know they could be clean thought it was a replacement job only.

Will try that today. Have the thing apart thinking about adding a battery in but not sure if its worth it. Mostly thinking of doing it so it has enough juice to run headlight tail light and indicators to street legal it. Maybe I don't even need one and the capacitor is fine... No experience with capacitors

Managed to find a dual filament fitting and replaced the original rear bulb assembly so I can even have a brake light.

Attached Thumbnails Klx250 tuning-img_20160627_151648.jpg  
Old 06-28-2016, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Just read that people cut the mesh in the airbox. What does everyone think of that?

Just did a coolant flush, oil draining now, and also cleaned my air filter with some soap and water looks good as new.

Quick Reply: Klx250 tuning