klx suspension set up

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:53 AM
Tin
1st Gear Member
Default klx suspension set up

Just wondering about setting up the suspension properly I'm about 95kg and just started to get a bit faster and doing jumps over little tabletops. Like erosion mounds and that on the trail. So It's about time that I adjust everything properly and I've read how to adjust sag and check for right spring in the bback how do I check and adjust forks to suit.
It's a 2009 models. thanks for any advice

Old 04-22-2015, 11:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Race Tech has a spring calculator on their website that will give you a recommended spring weight. Moto-Pro has also had one, but at the moment their website is down for a remake.

How often do your front forks bottom out? That is a clue as well.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member

You can only adjust compression dampening on the front forks. It's 16 way adjustable but The difference is negligible.

I've read that sag should be about 1/3'rd of the suspension travel. I think it works out to about 93mm or 9.3cm (3.66142 inches).

Adjusting the stock suspension on this bike is an exercise in futility. The front springs need to be replaced unless you weigh 150 lbs. Once I get the money, I'll be replacing springs front and rear and possibly re-valving.

When I'm on the trails, if I hit a rock or bump at more than 30mph, it feels like someone is trying to kick my handle bars out of my hands.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member

For the 2009 model, you're probably best off calling John at Moto-pro. Lots of members here report great results from his shop. At 95kg, you're heavy enough to need new front and rear springs. I'm betting that if you have the race/rider sag set on the rear, static sag will be off. That's one way of determining if the rear spring is too light or too stiff. Go to the FAQ link in my sig line below and search the page for SAG, then look up youtube videos or other resources for setting race and static sag. Forks are not as easy to check and set due to stiction, but again you're heavy enough for stiffer fork springs.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:04 PM
Tin
1st Gear Member

Thanks for replies I was planning on setting sag and adjusting this weekend to see if I need new rear spring. Anyone have any more advice on setting the front end right especially to be able to handle little jumps better

Old 04-22-2015, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tin
Thanks for replies I was planning on setting sag and adjusting this weekend to see if I need new rear spring. Anyone have any more advice on setting the front end right especially to be able to handle little jumps better
Increase the compression dampening using the clickers on the bottom of the forks. It should help a little bit anyway. You're really going to need to replace the springs though.

You can order from here: RT - Digital Product Search Or support the little guy and give Moto-Pro a call.

You'll likely want to re-valve the forks also. I've heard with a bit of work you can also get the KX(250 and 500) forks mounted on these bikes. If you can find a used set and can do the work, it's probably cheaper.

At the end of the day, Dual sports are not really meant to be run as motocross bikes. Big jumps are not part of their skillset typically.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Definitely call John at Moto Pro. It's a pretty solid deal if you don't want to do your own work/figure out all that mess. And he'll really help you understand what set up is good for how you ride.

Only trouble is getting a hold of him. But he does return messages, so just leave a voicemail when you call.