KLX on right side today and wont start :((

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Default KLX on right side today and wont start :((

Hi,

I woke up to my neighbor at the door telling me my bike was on its side in the parking space. There is some plastic and blinker damage but the big problem is there was oil/fluids on the ground. They must have leaked out somewhere because there are no cracks in the motor . I checked the oil level and it was in the low range but still acceptable. But it wont start.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Thanks

Old 11-30-2006, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: KLX on right side today and wont start :((

The oil probably came from the airbox, the crankcase vent is on the right side and if you did the breather mod and drilled that airbox the oil could have flown into the airbox and drained out. I suppose gas could have leaked out too or maybe coolant but I don't know for sure. Did you check the plug and see if it was fouled?

Old 11-30-2006, 12:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I would check the plug to see if it got gas on it or oil if your gas was left on and the intake valve happened to be open the gas would run down into the engine you should maybe change the oil and check that the air filter didn't get soaked with gas. If it did happen to try to start and you have gas in the oil that could be a real bad thing[]
Its always a good idea to keep the petcock off when not riding.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:07 AM

Will changing the oil undo any damage caused by gas mixing with it? I am not sure what the position of the petcock was and I have been known to leave it open sometimes. I tried to start it several times. I will also check the air filter too? Oh man this sucks. I know these are real basic things but for me it is a royal pain in the ***

Old 11-30-2006, 01:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I suppose it could be several things but my first guess is that the gas in the bowl leaked out through the vent tubes and it just needs to be "persuaded" to start again. The same thing happens if you let the KLX set for say 2 weeks with out starting. It will refuse to start because there is no gas present to start it with. With the CV carb and no accelerator pump once the gas evaporates the engine doesn't generate enough vacuum while cranking to open the slide and get fuel to it. So consequently whenever mine sets for a couple of weeks, I have to remove the seat and spray starting fluid in the air box and it will start right up.
I don't know that this is exactly what is happening but its a theory that I have.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

A fall down like that wouldnt normally take out a bike if theres no crack in the engine so that does seem wierd.

I always start with the simplest stuff first, theory being, the simple stuff is way more probable then more complex issues.

Is it possible that the kill switch accidently got pushed in. The damn thing is not like a dirt bike that is either out or your pushing on it, and it had gotten me in the past when it was accidently pushed in and I didnt know it.

Just a thought....

Old 11-30-2006, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Most of the time when I bike or any thing with an aluminum bowl carb sets for 2 weeks or more the gas gets stale very fast. While working in many shops I would have people bring there bike in and I simply drain the bowl and turn the gas on and it starts . The gas seems to go bad in no time in a bike carb. If your going to leave it set for any time just drain the bowl it is very easy to get to on the KLX .......I also thought about the kill switch but figured how could it get pushed in from falling over but now I think maybe some one pushed it over and could of hit it Good point DirtSurfer

Old 11-30-2006, 04:07 AM

delete

Old 11-30-2006, 06:44 AM

delete

Old 11-30-2006, 09:02 AM

It seems to bee running almost normal again after driving it for a bit. All this broken plastic and no cool stories to go along with it.

Quick Reply: KLX on right side today and wont start :((