KLX overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Default KLX overheating issue

Hey all, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for my question... I have been reading posts for a while, but this is my first post.

I have a 2007 KLX250s that was recently recovered after being stolen. The engine was brand new with maybe 500 miles on it. The ignition cylinder was missing and I have since replaced it. I removed the carb and cleaned the jets with carb cleaner. I drained the gas tank and added new gasoline. I made sure the coolant and oil were both at the appropriate levels before trying to start. I got the bike to start after jumping it from a car battery, it took a considerable amount of time, but it started. I allowed the bike to idle for about 20mins. During so it sounded louder then normal, with some rattles, but that may be because it is missing some plastic shrouds and the seat is missing the bolts to hold it on (thank you thief). I then went to test ride it to make sure the transmission is still in good condition. I got about 200 yards and the bike started to stutter and then shut off, almost like it was out of gas. During so, I noticed the red warning light on. I walked the bike home and let it sit. While sitting there was a wheezing noise, like escaping gas. After 3 hours of sitting, I went and looked at the engine and did not notice any fluid that may have forced it's way through the head gasket to the outside. So, I tried to start it again to see if the engine was seized from overheating, it would crank, but wouldn't turn over, though I did not try to crank it for as long as I did when I was initially trying to start it.

I searched the forum for overheating symptoms, but did not find any. So, I'm wondering if my engine will need to be rebuilt? It is not seized, but I don't know if I've done damage to the head and the gasket internally. I plan on doing an oil change to check for coolant and flushing the coolant when I get home. Is this the best way to check for a head gasket issue without disassembling the engine? Could the wheezing noise have been coming from the radiator and not the engine itself?

Thanks.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

i do.t understand how it cranks but does not turn over. does the starter simply make a whirring sound or does it just make a click like the engine is frozen ?

Old 05-02-2014, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I think he means it cranks over, it just doesn't start. As in "Turn Over" means starts.
Just a guess.....

Old 05-02-2014, 09:05 PM

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the reply!

The starter does engage and will turn the engine, however the engine will not start. There is no whirling sound from a starter that is not engaging or from it engaging and not being able to turn because of a seized engine. Before the bike died, it took me cranking the engine a good 30 seconds before it finally began to run. Now, no matter how long I crank, it won't run.

I changed the oil, oil filter, and the coolant today. No sign of mixing of the two fluids. I flushed the coolant system with water and drained it before adding new coolant. The oil filter was extremely dark. There were some, not that much, very small particulates (fine dirt/sand grains) in the coolant that I drained and the coolant reservoir.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you don't have any fuel getting to the carb or no spark, forget about checking the head gasket.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:28 AM
1st Gear Member

agreed, check for spark first!

Old 05-03-2014, 03:03 AM

Spark plug replaced and the bike will start now. Thanks for the input!

However, the bike still overheats. When sitting at idle (2k rpm), the warning light will come on. The radiator is getting hot, so I don't think it is a bad thermostat... The fan for the radiator does not kick on. Is there a way to use a multimeter to pinpoint where the problem may lie? Specifically where should I check for current before and after the fan switch? What should the voltage read for this circuit?

Also, if someone could point me in the direction of a service manual, I could probably troubleshoot this problem further myself. Thanks again for all the input!

Old 05-03-2014, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I believe that the fan switch is in the bottom of the r/h rad. Unplug it and using a suitable jumper, short the two terminals on the harness. The fan should operate when the key is on. If it doesn't make sure that you have power on the circuit and if it does then either the fan has crapped out or there is a problem with the ground side of the fan circuit.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:54 PM

Thanks for all the help! I was able to pinpoint the fan issue! After going the hard way and checking the connections, grounds, and the fan itself. I checked the fan fuse, didn't know the bike had one. Well, my fan fuse looked as if it exploded and it had melted a good bit of the inline fuse holder. Anyway, fuse it place, and there is no overheating. Thanks again!

Old 05-04-2014, 04:05 PM

Hi Guys,

I recently bought my KLX250S 2014, I am in the break in period. The motorcycle works fine but the exhaust system is getting extremely hot and is heating the chassis too much (my wife got burned when she touched the passenger's footpeg) even when I ride the bike in shorts I can feel too much heat coming out from the exhaust system.

At the beginning I was using high octane gasoline and I changed for the cheapest one and the temperature was reduced but it is still uncomfortable. I went to the dealer but unfortunately in my country (Colombia) this motorcycle is not common and the dealers has not too much experience dealing with it, this is frustrating because I have been asking for warranty the last two months but my dealer says he is researching because this is new and they have not seen this before.

Somebody had this problem before?.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Quick Reply: KLX overheating issue