klx mods? any worth doing???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member

There's no way an Austrian company isn't going to make sure QC isn't up to spec. Sure, you'll get a brembo copy. But a good one.
The Chinese CSC-RX3 is making quite a splash here in the USA...imagine that as the little BMW GS adventure clone. Now imagine KTM cloning their own machines with existing parts and tooling...in India. I'm am totally OK with that for $5K. Out of the box more HP than the KLX and most likely parts are transferable from other KTM's.
If Kawi would take the CRF 250 Rally bait and produce a FI KLX350R or 450R(as in rally) they might just kill all the competition(I'm thinking CCM GP450 and the yet to hit production AJP7 and KTM390ADV). They have the tooling for both bikes. New bodywork and frame attachments are easy. The 350 or even 450 is easy if FI for CARB regs. All of that would make production cost achievable if they really start racing again to challenge Honda.
The thing that really peaks my interest in the "rally" style is the frame mounted light and instruments. Removing all weight from the bars is a magical thing...as is having the light pointing where the bike is going. Not to mention low center of gravity thanks to things unobtanium to us KLXers like low fuel tanks. I rode a KTM 950 down a gravel road onto a trail and could not believe how light it felt for a huge *** bike(he said ***, he he he)! I think much of that was due to the fuel being carried so low and the fact that the bars were just that...steering for the wheel and suspension parts only.
Now I'm imagining a new 450Rally from Kawi to heat up the Dakar.
Whew, I'm a little light headed, I think I need to eat before my blood sugar level crashes...even further and I get really delusional.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgmr250
My friend and I have both contemplated getting lighter dual sports - KTM or Husky. We've both been mostly turned off by the high price, more involved maintenance schedules, and in some cases, much higher seat height. I think that materials used can make a difference in weight as well. IIRC, the Husky was at least 40 pounds lighter than the KLX. Would be really nice to drop that much weight. My buddy just replaced his dying battery with a Lithium Iron - it's like 4 pounds lighter than the regular battery.

Speaking of fuel injection - our first big outing, his fuel pump failed (very common problem with the 08 WR's apparently) in the middle of nowhere. We ended up pushing his bike, in the dark, for about an hour. Turns out once the fuel heated up from slow technical riding, the pump would fail. After enough time, it cooled enough that the pump started working again. It was a hellish ride. His battery failed a few weeks ago, after a crash (the battery had been weak he said), so we ended up doing some more pushing until we got it to a location where he was able to bump start it.
Funny I was talking about this not long ago. Last night I became the new owner of a 2010 Husqvarna TE250 with 388KM on it. Guy bought it brand new from the dealer in 2013 (had been sitting on their lot for almost 3 years, so it was pretty heavily discounted.) He's shorter than I am and the 37.4" seat height was an issue, so he did $2000 worth of mods (he claims) to the bike:
Professionally lowered and resprung by a local shop that's very well respected. He weighs 150, I weight 200 - so the bike is undersprung, but the trails I ride I like it softer, so we'll see where that goes. I have the original stock springs, which are a higher spring rate. It was lowered about 1.5"
Seat Concepts low seat - takes off about another 1"
Touratech skid plate, rad guards, rear rack. Cycra hand guards
Uncorking (JD tuning EFI tuner, O2 removal, muffler baffle removed.)
50 tooth rear sprocket.

He rode it a little more (moved from a DR650 and KX200 and wanted something in between), then realized that he wanted something more street worthy (he's considering buying my 2011 KLX from me - or, trading rather.) Then, it sat for a year. My friend with a WR250R, saw the Craigslist ad, saw it was lowered (he'd be comfortable at the stock 37.4" seat height) and passed the ad on to me.

Kickstand was never shortened, so it would pretty much fall over if left on the kickstand. I pushed the forks back down in the triple tree to the stock location (he had them 15-20mm up in the tree, to help with the lowering), and dialed up a bunch of preload on the rear. Now, it stays on the kickstand, but doesn't take much to topple it over. When I got it, it was lowered to the point where I would flat-foot sitting on it (5'9" with 32" inseam). Now, it's slightly taller seat-wise than the KLX and feels right. Tomorrow I do my first ride on it to see how it is. I did a short test ride before buying it. My KLX should be about 20HP, and the TE250 is rated, from what I can tell, at about 34HP. I've read, though that from the factory (without the uncorking) they are horribly hindered and don't feel fast at all, so I'm wondering if the 34HP is before or after uncorking. Either way, it's much more powerful than my KLX - more power than I need, I think (the front end had no problem coming up rolling on the throttle), but we'll see.

Some nice features: 11.8" suspension travel, 13" ground clearance. 226-238Lbs dry (depends where you read - should be about 50Lbs lighter than the KLX all fueled up etc. Magura hydraulic clutch - very easy pull on the clutch. Excel wheels. USD Cartridge suspension forks, Kayaba. Sachs rear shock.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds interesting, equivalent to 209 miles! Was it big bucks or did you get a killer deal on it?

That's the deal breaker for many - too expensive to get the bike. That's why I did the KLX instead of any others. I got the best I could for the money I had to spend. If I had the money I'd probably have a KTM 350 or some other, but I don't.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Sounds interesting, equivalent to 209 miles! Was it big bucks or did you get a killer deal on it?

That's the deal breaker for many - too expensive to get the bike. That's why I did the KLX instead of any others. I got the best I could for the money I had to spend. If I had the money I'd probably have a KTM 350 or some other, but I don't.
That's my point. Depending on the cost of the klx and mods vs just buying a better bike in the first place.

I had a chance to get a husky for 3400 with 3k miles. It was a 13. But I found the deal on my klx and went for it since this was my first dual sport.

I have my klx on craigslist now. If it sells or not I am going to pick up a ktm or husky. If it doesn't save I'll keep the klx for an extra bike for a friend if they want to ride.

Last edited by toomanytoys84; 11-22-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678

I paid $4000 for my 2011 KLX two years ago. Looking at the market, I'll probably be able to sell it for the same $ - they didn't release any 2015's into the Canadian market, so if you wanted a KLX this year in Canada, you had to buy used - this has bumped up the resale values on the KLX.

I got the Husky for $4000. The seller might be interested in a trade - he's still looking around, and I wasn't interested in a trade until I'd had a few rides on the Husky - I've become attached to the KLX and have trouble letting it go - unless the Husky is what I'm hoping it is and 'feels' just right to me.

I should be able to sell the KLX easily for what I paid for the Husky. I'd like to keep both, but I don't have room for 5 of my own bikes, plus 2 of my son's in the garage...

They retailed for something like $8000, but he got a screaming deal on it, I think he paid $6500 or $6800 when he bought it new in 2013. He then apparently put $2000 worth of upgrades/mods into it.

I get somewhat concerned over a bike with really low miles on it - seals can dry up and start to leak etc. but this one looks quite good.

Attached Thumbnails klx mods? any worth doing???-100_5321.jpg   klx mods? any worth doing???-100_5323.jpg