klx mods? any worth doing???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default klx mods? any worth doing???

Hi guys

I'm thinking of getting the above bike ,
I was wondering what tuning options there are for the Klx apart from the obvious like an exhaust all though what are the best ones for sound and power increase ???

The bike will be a commuter and occasional green laner... I'm sure I read somewhere you can bridge the clutch switch very easily to help it Rev much better in each gear????

And remove the snorkel???

Anyway any tips links etc are appreciated

Steve

Old 10-17-2015, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Exhaust may be the most obvious, but probably the lowest in power increase alone.

The most power increase is in the intake system. The snorkel can be replaced with the KDX200 snorkel which is about twice the intake area size or eliminated entirely depending on the odds of you getting into enough water off road to have it slosh into the air box. Jetting is the way to easier starting and better power. Two ways, Dyno Jet or the KLX300 jetting. I have the KLX300 jetting in a link to a document in my signature. I did it and it works quite well. The KLX is quite lean to start.

Big money, but nearly everyone who's done it swear by the Mikuni TM36-68 flat slide pumper carburetor. Direct slide control, no vacuum slide.

Another source of rearranging and adding power is to do the Marcelino Cam Timing Modification aka MCM. It alters cam timing increasing power, although peaking a bit earlier than stock. Good power where it is commonly used and, if you are mechanically inclined, free! There is a thread here on the MCM which really delves into the science. I have a link in my signature to link to a condensed version of the actual process.

The exhaust is commonly thought to be the trick, but without any jetting it probably does nothing more than increase noise. A problem with aftermarket exhausts - excessively loud. Although costly, the full exhaust is the trick. The head pipe is really small and the engine will benefit from a bigger head pipe, around 1-3/8 ID. The best compromise, although hard to find easily, is the KLX300 exhaust or at least the muffler. It has higher flow.

For me the jetting is #1 and costs less than $100 - that is way cheap and works wonders.

Next is MCM.

Next would be a relatively quiet exhaust

Finally a carb.

One thing ignored, but really expensive are the big bore kits.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:10 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks for info as was thinking full exhaust system.......

if the bike is fuel injected bot a lot I can do then????

So anyone know of the mod for bridging the clutch connector thing????

sure I seen a thread somewhere

Old 10-17-2015, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by spadey99

How to soup up KLX250 EFI the easy way - Bike Chat Forums
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...x250-uk-40661/

there has been a number of thread here and else were regarding the clutch switch mods, take a look at the threads that should help.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by spadey99

Put the country where you are located in your signature. It helps anyone respond to help you. Had that been there I wouldn't have taken the time on carburetion.

Do take a serious look at the cam retiming. Marcelino did the work on an injected KLX250 with either a slip on or a pipe. It is a freebie good for around 3-4 hp, with a boost in horsepower over the entire power range - aka stronger at any rpm than it previously was.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Do the 351 thing and jet the carb.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

If you get a FMF exhaust and it's to loud for ya, you can get the Quiet Insert for it for $40ish bucks. Did for mine and noise isn't an issue anymore. FYI.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I've been kicking around the idea of adding mods to my klx. I've decided that if I hit a point where I need more power ill sell it an buy another bike.

Doing an exhaust, jetting, big bore,ect would all cost more than I paid for the bike.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Good for you...

For those with a sense of adventure, mechanically, realize for under a grand they can have some fun. Not too bad having the fun in hot rodding a vehicle. Kind of like why guys do up little four poppers to drag race in a class - kind of rewarding when they do good - key words they do good.

I'd take a Model A or deuce high boy with a tricked out engine (or some other sweet select hot rods I like) over a new Vette any day, doing work on the rod for myself due to the simplicity.

But for each their own.

I will say anyone who doesn't jet their carbureted KLX within a few weeks after buying it is out on both better performance and easier starting, not to mention less aggravation. The rest of it would be just for play and personal reward if someone wants to do so.

Last edited by klx678; 10-18-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
You got your bike for less than $100?!!!!

I'll give you $200!
Get me an fmf exhaust header and jet kit for 100 dollars? I have 1600 in my bike. Dyno jet kit is what 50 alone?

Full big gun exhaust jet kit pumper carb big bore kit and I might as well sell my bike and buy a much better model. Before I do any of that I need to upgrade all my suspension to make it handle the higher power.

I learned long ago to not try to make something into something its not. The klx is a great bike, I love mine to death, but its an entry level dual sport.

I do wish I would of forked out more and gotten a drz400 or an xr650.

Quick Reply: klx mods? any worth doing???