Leather vs Textile.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Leather vs Textile.

Getting set with my gear and I noticed a lot of info on textile like cordura 500d not performing very well when skidding down the tarmac.

Is leather any better? I am looking at a Vanson cobra 2 today in my CL. Not really a dual sport style jacket but fine for commuting style wise.

Does leather PERFORM better in abrasion?

Old 03-23-2012, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

If you go down on pavement both are going to have holes/damage in them. I use a mesh type textile jacket that has shoulder/elbow and spine armor built in. When you are moving it feels like its air conditioned. It also has a wind proof liner if need be. Get whatever makes you feel safe on the road, and always wear gloves (nice leather ones for street).

Old 03-23-2012, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

leather is hot n icky, and cost more lol... i dont think its necessary unless ur racing and need every strip of protection you can get, but buy what you like.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

leather is more durable...but, more expensive...harder to find one that fits perfectly out of the box....if you find good leather that fits well, you are lucky...i was not that lucky..145 to 150 lbs and 5'10" with a small frame...i didn't want to spend $1,000+ to get one custom fitted and made...

textile has more range in sizes and has more fit adjustments....haven't crashed in leather or textile, so can't really comments on what's "better"...i've only crashed in sneakers and jeans...luckily i was wearing heavy jeans and it held up....i just slid on my butt while holding on to the motorcycle....

Old 03-23-2012, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Plus, ultimately you want a higher denier rating than 500. More like 1000+

Old 03-23-2012, 04:31 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

Buy the best you can afford. I wear all gear all the time. I mostly due street at the moment. Full face helmet, Joe rocket meteor cordura jacket, aerostich darien pants, sidi boots, held gloves, forcefield back protector. Is it hot in the summer? Yes, but I feel well protected.

So many people cringe at the cost of gear. The good stuff you buy once and it lasts for while.

I was looking for a lift in my garage a few years ago and purused the garage forums...too many Corvettes and exotic sports cars and the like complaining about the price of $1000 lifts. Really?

Last edited by drm; 03-23-2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: stoopid phone editing
Old 03-23-2012, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like both can work. I will try on the Vanson leather tonight. Its $200 so in line with a decent textile jacket. I think I would like a high quality DS jacket but I may wait for a used one.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

My motorcycle safety course instructor highly recommended Olympia products. I have some Klim Baja pants with lots of mesh that are great for warm weather riding.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
My motorcycle safety course instructor highly recommended Olympia products. I have some Klim Baja pants with lots of mesh that are great for warm weather riding.
Timely. I found an Olympia Jacket on CL. Not a bad deal.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

this place has good prices...and ships to u.s.

FC-Moto.de - Motorrad-Helme, Motorradbekleidung, Jet Helme & Cross Helme

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leather vs Textile.