The KLX aftermarket is awful!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 07:20 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bigs
While looking through my tool kit for my KLX250 (my 12 and 22mm Moose Racing alloy tire lever/wrenches are now useless..) I noticed my spare levers seem identical to the ones on the 250.

So there's that?

I actually like short levers, especially for the front brake, as it reminds you, in fact forces you, to only use 2 fingers.

Regarding crash bars, I have found some in Asia, but I can't find the darn link now. They just help protect the engine. I think they're worthwhile, seeing as you have hoses exposed down low, plus they should help prevent the brake or gear lever being bent, broken or worse, punched into the engine casing.

I'm surprised nobody seems to sell universal bolt-on crash bars you could fit on any bike? They only seem available for specific models.

Had a look in a small hardware store the other day and didn't see anything, but surely there must be some kind of pipe connecting bracket type thingy, of some sort?
Bigs, they used to make somewhat more universal bolt-on crash bars when many road motorcycles had more of a universal shape...CB750, KZ900, etc. Problem was that the U-bolts that attached them to the frame front down tubes would occasionally dent the frame tubes in a good tipover, rendering the frame damaged in a way that affected its integrity. Real crash guards/bars are made to attach to a given bike at structural points where this won't happen...at least in most reasonable situations.

I'm guessing this is your first dual sport bike that is actually more dirt oriented than something like a KLR650 or such. Traditionally riders on these bikes don't want items sticking out or down from the bike that will hang up on off road obstacles. Probably not anything wrong with wanting something like that, but the market doesn't exist for this bike, and perhaps a different bike might be better suited to your application. That said, a KLX can be crashed, tossed, and auger'ed in on some pretty gnarly surfaces without much damage over a very long period. Then...even with a crash guard there's always that "magic" rock or object that can poke a hole in a case or engine cover no matter what you armored it up with. A good aftermarket skid plate and wrap-around handguards will stop most carnage.

About the most vulnerable item on the KLX are the radiator covers/wings. A crash bar probably wouldn't do any good in saving them either.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

A skid plate and some DIY frame sliders...

Old 06-30-2016, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Sweet!

TNC, nope, I've had plenty of dirt bikes, but ironically one of the reasons I got a KLX250 is because I used to see so many aftermarket parts for them...

I had the KLX150 for awhile and nobody, but nobody, makes any form of touring or adventure bits for the 150. I have seen plenty of 250s with panniers, windscreens and so on.

However now that I have one it's becoming clear that such things are likely custom-fitted by ingenious owners, rather than as readily available as I thought. Also, it seem such things are only available for older models; my 2015 EFI version gets no love. I can't even find a bigger fuel tank for it, apart from one single company wanting over $300 and nosebleed shipping.

I specifically want my bike for lightweight adventure riding, with a bike more dirt-orientated than the big fat hogs that "proper" ADV riders seem to need, as I'll be tackling parts of Borneo.

Luggage carrying, longer-range fuel capacity and crash protection are the main things I'm looking to do, along with lowering it and maybe doing something to make the seat more comfy.

It's all possible but yeah, there does seem a surprising lack of aftermarket goodies now that I have my own 250.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

brake levers for a ninja 250 2010-2011 on eBay will work
I have been using them for years $20

I was lucky the guy that makes the racks for our bikes used mine for mockup so I had him make me the front engine guard

I suppose if enough ask about it maybe he can make them
I still have my bike so I could bring over the guard so he can use it to make a jig off of it

Name:  C583D9F0-3A79-4CF7-9369-414997111685_zpsfxm3gz5w.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  1.85 MB

Old 07-04-2016, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member

That's just the kind of thing I'm after

Old 07-04-2016, 09:23 PM
1st Gear Member

i think it was pmr racks that sells the rack, and the rear side racks
he made me that front engine cover but as far as I know doesn't sell them

Old 07-05-2016, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bigs
Sweet!

TNC, nope, I've had plenty of dirt bikes, but ironically one of the reasons I got a KLX250 is because I used to see so many aftermarket parts for them...

I had the KLX150 for awhile and nobody, but nobody, makes any form of touring or adventure bits for the 150. I have seen plenty of 250s with panniers, windscreens and so on.
This is because it's a 150 which isn't a popular adventure or touring sized bike. A company isn't going to invest, design, and tool up to manufacture parts or accessories for a bike that no one uses. Touring and Adventure bikes get some serious miles and the 150 isn't a bike "Most" people go to. It's more of a kids bike or something thats hauled on the back of an RV to toy around the campground or buzz into town. Hell, the 250 is even small for that. Don't know of many doing 1,000 plus mile adventure trips on a 150cc bike. I understand why you like it, just stating facts. You may have to consider custom fabrication for your needs.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I fit my Zeta guards on this past weekend, had to shave the inside mount in half, took hours to discover this and have enough confidence it was the right thing to do. They seem to fit very nice now, hopefully they can stand the on-slaught of crashes.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:19 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Anthony LaGrasta
I fit my Zeta guards on this past weekend, had to shave the inside mount in half, took hours to discover this and have enough confidence it was the right thing to do. They seem to fit very nice now, hopefully they can stand the on-slaught of crashes.
You need to develop a more positive attitude. The comment "on-slaught of crashes" may tend toward a self-filling prophecy...LOL!

...but hopefully not.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Anthony LaGrasta

may your crashes be epic on youtube

Quick Reply: The KLX aftermarket is awful!