The KLX aftermarket is awful!

Old 06-24-2016, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Found that on the net... Love to see the installation...

Old 06-24-2016, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

..wow..

That's not gonna add any weight at all. Should even help with your jumps. lol.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

it helps you wheelie and gives people a place to grab when pulling out of mud

Old 06-24-2016, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I finally ordered from China via eBay, didn't want to do that. But, it's a nice matching set of shorty levers in black, for less than $25 shipped. They're listed for D Tracker so I suppose they'll fit the S as well.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Anthony LaGrasta
I finally ordered from China via eBay, didn't want to do that. But, it's a nice matching set of shorty levers in black, for less than $25 shipped. They're listed for D Tracker so I suppose they'll fit the S as well.
Call me old school but I prefer hacking off the tips of the OEM levers, then filing smooth.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm old school too, however my current levers have graduated. Nothing left to cut and trim.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:29 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by queen of spades
Call me old school but I prefer hacking off the tips of the OEM levers, then filing smooth.
LOL!...I've done that too for many years on many bikes. Here's a funny thing. I've probably kept my KLX longer than any other dirt or dual purpose bike that I've owned...and I've owned a lot. My '06 still has the original brake and clutch levers. Obviously the bike has always had good, quality handguards, so the levers never broke in a crash...of which there have been many. The clutch lever is what really surprises me in that the pivot hole for the cable head hasn't worn out. It's also has the original cable. I've had a spare cable in my kit forever. Now, I do keep the cable lubed, and I lube the head/pivot of the cable/lever interface with antiseize, along with lever pivot bolt. Gucci style levers are fine, and they look cool, but the OEM levers if given any care at all must be pretty darned tough...and I like their bend once you lop the end off.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Good hand guards are key.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by queen of spades

C'mon, old school? You and TNC did that for the same reason I did - I'm a tight wad and lazy! I figure cut the end without taking the lever off (if I didn't break it off falling over) and save the cost of buying another set.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

While looking through my tool kit for my KLX250 (my 12 and 22mm Moose Racing alloy tire lever/wrenches are now useless..) I noticed my spare levers seem identical to the ones on the 250.

So there's that?

I actually like short levers, especially for the front brake, as it reminds you, in fact forces you, to only use 2 fingers.

Regarding crash bars, I have found some in Asia, but I can't find the darn link now. They just help protect the engine. I think they're worthwhile, seeing as you have hoses exposed down low, plus they should help prevent the brake or gear lever being bent, broken or worse, punched into the engine casing.

I'm surprised nobody seems to sell universal bolt-on crash bars you could fit on any bike? They only seem available for specific models.

Had a look in a small hardware store the other day and didn't see anything, but surely there must be some kind of pipe connecting bracket type thingy, of some sort?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The KLX aftermarket is awful!