The KLX aftermarket is awful!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default The KLX aftermarket is awful!

This basic KL bike has been built for decades and sold internationally. Yet, there is no real aftermarket to speak of. Trying to find alternative levers, near no choices. Trying to find a tube style engine guard, I found one choice in Bangladesh that won't ship. I'm really surprised since this bike has such history and love around the globe.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

From the digging I did, seems the KLR650 used the same clutch lever, so if it fits a KLR650 it will fit the KLX250. It is highly likely the same would be true with the front brake. If you happen to know someone with a KLR you could try the front lever very easily in about 10 minutes... bribe the friend with a beer or something.

Another option - pull off your levers and go to a dealership that has replacements in stock so you can compare.

Or this set on ebay, which mention the fit. Slight variations in length, color, a screw adjuster for reach, and the brake/clutch switch activator pad will make for different part numbers.

You won't find too many tubular engine guards since in pure off roading bash plates are the device used. The idea being light and compact. As opposed to the tubular crash bars like street bikes use... that would be adventure bikes, since they are essentially long travel street bikes. Most stuff that fits a KLX300 will work on the 250, but don't expect much adventure bike type stuff.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:44 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Man, I know what you mean. I was trying to find a trunk rack and cruise control for my KX450F, and I couldn't find a thing. What's wrong with these people.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

There's levers on ebay and Amazon for the KLX250. If you want a VERY easy 1 finger pull clutch, get the Moose Racing EZ3 Clutch lever and perch assembly. The best $38 bucks I spent on my bike period. Works on all cable clutches. My Beta and KTM buddy's are amazed that my clutch is easier pull than their juice clutches. Just get the extra mirror mount clamp half if you use a mirror on left side.

They don't make tube guards because smooth skid plates do just that, skid or slide over the big rocks and logs without hanging up. If your just doing street, supermoto, etc, then skid plate isn't needed, just get sliders. I've had friends that bought tube style engine/skid guards for different dual sport bikes and all 3 replaced with plate style after having drag and hangup issues off road. Plus they tend to catch and pickup branches to take along for the ride.

Last edited by Werloc; 06-23-2016 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I wish Stroker was still in business and made the pivot link.
I wish there were more aftermarket plastic choices (especially for the 09+ models).

We have plenty of exhaust, carb and LOTS of engine/bore kits available.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Man, I know what you mean. I was trying to find a trunk rack and cruise control for my KX450F, and I couldn't find a thing. What's wrong with these people.
Mark's Throttle Locks and racks can help out here..

Last edited by klx678; 06-23-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:05 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

All I can say Mark is...innovative...simply brilliant.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

now install an inlet and outlet and that rack can also store fuel

Old 06-23-2016, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

That looks like something out of the Tour a Crap catalog.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Is that cast iron pipe??? Holy crap that must weigh 40 lbs by itself! If we fill it with fuel do we have to paint it red?

Quick Reply: The KLX aftermarket is awful!