KLX as an adventure tourer? '06-07' vs +'09?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 01:19 PM
Default KLX as an adventure tourer? '06-07' vs +'09?

I've been pondering what bike to purchase to fit out for an Alaska-to-Argentina trip this year. I'm a small light guy with a travel-light ethos so something like a KLR650 seems totally excessive (although a friend riding one will join me as far as Mexico).

As far as newish 250 dual sports go, the KLX seems quite plentiful on the used market, and I like that I have the option of the big bore if I decide it's too slow (from what I've read, at least of the steel sleeved kits, they're very reliable? No?)

My question is if I'm better off with a 2006-2007 model (with the square headlight), or one of the +2009 models (with the fancy headlight). Is there any consensus on which is better? (especially as far as reliability goes).

There's a 3.7 Acerbis tank available for the earlier ones, whereas the biggest tank I'm seeing for the +2009 models is 3 gallons. However other parts (notably racks) seem much easier to come by for the newer ones.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member

They are the same bike, with the 09+ models being a little lower, with less suspension travel. I've owned both. The 06/07 are better for off road riding because of the suspension. I think the later ones look better. Those are the only functional differences.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:05 PM

At the least the tank, seat, and subframe seem to be different, since parts that fit one type don't fit the other. Although I guess you're saying it's a wash?

Old 01-21-2016, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

If I was going to take my klx for a many mile ride the only thing I'd add besides racks is a good seat. The stock seat kills me after a 30 minute street commute to work!

Old 01-22-2016, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stewacide
At the least the tank, seat, and subframe seem to be different, since parts that fit one type don't fit the other. Although I guess you're saying it's a wash?
* functional

Old 01-22-2016, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by toomanytoys84
If I was going to take my klx for a many mile ride the only thing I'd add besides racks is a good seat. The stock seat kills me after a 30 minute street commute to work!
I see that Seat Concepts has seats for both generations so no worries there.

I am a little worried about the strength of the rear subframe, but I suppose I could reinforce it if it looks iffy.

Are there any reports on here of people doing long trips on a KLX? I've seen a few on the internets of people doing long trips on air-cooled smaller dual sports (DR350s, XT225s/250s, Sherpas) but I'm not having much luck finding a lower-miles version of one of those at a good price, while there are loads of KLXs (I'm shopping in Alberta). Aftermarket looks better on the KLX also.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I've ridden to S. Carolina from New Hampshire twice(2500mi round trip). Bike did fine, except on the return trip when I was loaded and riding back into the mountains into a headwind. It doesn't really have highway legs but it can go 70mph, just don't expect to have power to pass.
But as an adv tourer where roads are probably not 4 lane highways and some are off-road, it'd be great.
BTW, the Acerbis tank will fit the newer model, it just has an ugly gap between seat and tank.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stewacide
Are there any reports on here of people doing long trips on a KLX? I've seen a few on the internets of people doing long trips on air-cooled smaller dual sports (DR350s, XT225s/250s, Sherpas) but I'm not having much luck finding a lower-miles version of one of those at a good price,
I've round tripped (about 4600 miles) "The Great Divide Ride" on both a KLR650 and an XT225, and because of the amount of high speed highways on the way back, I would prefer the KLR650. While the KLX is certainly capable of doing the trip, it won't be fun if there are long stretches where you have to maintain 60mph or more to "keep up" with traffic. OTH if there are "technical" stretches of any length, a KLR650 won't be fun either.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

The 3.7 gallon Acerbis will fit the 2009+. There's a little bit of cosmetic issue but functionality is fine.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

06/07 vs 09+...it doesn't really matter. Solid, reliable bikes. Just find a well maintained one and be happy.

Quick Reply: KLX as an adventure tourer? '06-07' vs +'09?