KLX 300R starting/running issue.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:07 AM
Default KLX 300R starting/running issue.

Hello people's

I recently purchased a 2006 KLX300R. I rode it the day I bought it and it rallied first kick every time. It did have a mid-throttle stall so I knew it needed some love. Four stroke works header, dyno jet stage 2, uni filter, full carb disassembly and cleaning, oil change and spark plug done. Still first kick every time. Took her out over memorial for 98 miles of riding and she rallied th whole trip. The last morning when ready to load the bike it wouldn't start. It was a wet and muddy weekend I should say here. Took it home gutted the carb again just as a precaution, kicked it and it started first kick. Problem solved right? Nope. After shut down it won't start again. Ok so valves right. Waaaaay out of spec on exhaust and one of the intake valves had zero clearance. Shimmed to spec and cleaned the carb again because I found a bunch of crap in the tank. Started first kick and ran like a raped ape. Even felt a little more torquey. After shut down it won't start again. I love this bike it is so freaking fun but I am out of ideas.

I reiterate it was a wet trip. Could it be a short in the kill switch, the stator or some other electrical component? Is there a part that chronically goes out on these?

It has a full tank of fuel (clean now) I blew out the tank and lines with carb cleaner and compressed air. I have had spark every time that I have checked but I'm not shure if it's a strong enough. I can smell fuel when I am kicking it so what am I missing.

Please KLX geniuses share your knowledge.

Thank you

Old 06-12-2015, 05:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I feel you man, with spark and fuel it should make fire.. Could a malfunctioning KACR cause this? Does it seem like it has no compression when you kick it sometimes?

Old 06-12-2015, 12:55 PM
1st Gear Member

You have the stock CV carb, the float hangs up all the time. Even on my Mikuni it does sometime.
Options:
Always shut off the valve and run till dry if your not riding for a day.
Tap on the carb with a screwdriver a bit before starting.
Lay the bike on it's side in the driveway till the gas runs out (that works the best).
If you have the carb off, remove the float & float valve and clean & silicone spray that whole area.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Kickstand/Clutch switch? Kill switch? Grounds? Make sure you have a strong spark. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member

If you're smelling fuel but it won't start, I'll go with something with the spark isn't right.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:08 PM

Is there a kick stand kill switch? I have ran this countless times with the kick stand down. I am at work and can't check until tomorrow. I haven't seen anything there.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Klxster
I feel you man, with spark and fuel it should make fire.. Could a malfunctioning KACR cause this? Does it seem like it has no compression when you kick it sometimes?
I always has compression.😕

Old 06-12-2015, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by durielk
You have the stock CV carb, the float hangs up all the time. Even on my Mikuni it does sometime.
Options:
Always shut off the valve and run till dry if your not riding for a day.
Tap on the carb with a screwdriver a bit before starting.
Lay the bike on it's side in the driveway till the gas runs out (that works the best).
If you have the carb off, remove the float & float valve and clean & silicone spray that whole area.
I will give this a shot. I have cleaned the holy living crap out of this carb. I have been looking for any scratches that might cause the float to hang up. It all looks good. But at this point I'm not ruling anything out. Thanks everyone. Keep the suggestions coming. 👍🍻😃

Old 06-12-2015, 03:28 PM

Also I hate to be a newb pain in the butt, but I have been unable to find a link with the 2006 klx300r service manual that hasn't been broken, or the material is no longer there. Does any body have a current good link or the file they can email me?

Thanks again

Old 06-13-2015, 12:09 AM
1st Gear Member

The 2006 KLX250 manual in the sticky section should work except for the difference in electrical gear...like you have kickstart and no e-start, no safety switches for you probably, stators are different, everything else should be close enough...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KLX 300R starting/running issue.