KLX 250 Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 03:24 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I nominate the "CandyAss Camper" for president!

that was just abit off topic. lol but the man knows his machinery.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:31 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
My 06 likes the choke and it likes the choke to stay on for a minute or two. It however starts instantly with the choke on. So I am not messing with it. I understand the bike and it understands I will choke it
And no, you shouldn't do anything to it. Apparently your carb is in optimum tune, your KACR is operating just right, and what ever other alignment of stars that occurs to provide the proper starting for these bikes. The starter jet drilling is only necessary on those bikes with cold hard start symptoms. I'm still su****ious of the KACR being a large contributor to this issue.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Default Jet drill size.

Originally Posted by TNC
Yes, it is the solution...an .018" bit.
Thanks TNC. Your reply is much appreciated.
Roy

Old 04-21-2012, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
I nominate the "CandyAss Camper" for president!

that was just abit off topic. lol but the man knows his machinery.

I will second that.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MyKlx
I have a 2006 that won't start without pulling the choke lever and removing the seat and manually choking it. When it's warm it starts right up.
Drilling the "Start Jet" seems like the solution to the root cause.
Has anyone drilled out the jet and with what size drill.

Thanks for the help,
Roy
Removing the seat? I'm confused.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I drilled my starting jet, and it still does not start right at times. More often than not. When it does that (not start), I shake the bike from side to side & lean it way over both sides and try again. That seems to make it catch. I'm thinking that little dance gets some extra past the needle valve & up into the carb body somehow - sort of a mini flood.

There is something not quite right with some of these bikes, I think there is inconsistency in the KACR setup from bike to bike. I have no way of knowing this for sure, it's just a hunch - I have not investigated. If I would really get with it, I'd check compression during cold start. Actually, it would be nice if a bunch could do that, both good starters & poor, and post results - it might help shed some light. But I have come to the conclusion that the drilling of the starter circuit is a patch work fix that still might not fix it if the issue is too far astray (e.g. the KACR timing or lift is out more than others). Maybe drilling a bigger hole than 0.018 would be needed in some cases (like mine), but I'm a bit leery of doing more drilling, and I feel it's just a bigger bandaid.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:46 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

So does one take out this starter jet and then drill it? Or do you drill it in place and flush it out when dun?

Old 04-23-2012, 02:30 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ns503
I drilled my starting jet, and it still does not start right at times. More often than not. When it does that (not start), I shake the bike from side to side & lean it way over both sides and try again. That seems to make it catch. I'm thinking that little dance gets some extra past the needle valve & up into the carb body somehow - sort of a mini flood.

There is something not quite right with some of these bikes, I think there is inconsistency in the KACR setup from bike to bike. I have no way of knowing this for sure, it's just a hunch - I have not investigated. If I would really get with it, I'd check compression during cold start. Actually, it would be nice if a bunch could do that, both good starters & poor, and post results - it might help shed some light. But I have come to the conclusion that the drilling of the starter circuit is a patch work fix that still might not fix it if the issue is too far astray (e.g. the KACR timing or lift is out more than others). Maybe drilling a bigger hole than 0.018 would be needed in some cases (like mine), but I'm a bit leery of doing more drilling, and I feel it's just a bigger bandaid.
Maybe your fuel level is too low.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:32 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm
So does one take out this starter jet and then drill it? Or do you drill it in place and flush it out when dun?
The jet is pressed in, so you have to drill it in place.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:06 AM
1st Gear Member

IMHO the problem is not KACR related, it is not starter jet related, it is battery related. I've owned my 06 since 09 LOL. I had issues cold starting just like everyone else. Until I bought a battery tender and kept the bike plugged in 24/7. I do run it out of gas when it is going to sit for more than a few days. But I havent had a single cold starting problem since I started leaving it plugged in.

To prove my battery tender theory wrong or right, all one has to do is hook up jumper cables from the klx to a car or another battery and try to jump start the bike STONE FREAKIN COLD. With choke on and 0 throttle.

I see the same issue with cars, a car battery can crank the engine fine but not have enough "energy" left over for the ignition or fuel injectors to fire.

Last edited by clgdswr; 04-23-2012 at 06:09 AM.

Quick Reply: KLX 250 Starting Problems