KLX 250 Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lanky
on starting issues i have a 2008 klx 250 s and pritty much every time i start it i need the choke unless ive just had it on. even on 24^0c days durring summer. what could be causing this.
thanks
mike

The choke needs to be used on any bike that sits for a day, that's what it's there for.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

What TNC says from what I've read is the fix, I should just get over myself and do it. But then I would have to give up the royalty checks that keep pouring in from my patented procedure.

But seriously, it looks simple, maybe I will do it someday...

Old 04-05-2012, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I guess I'm lucky as I do nothing and the bike starts no matter how long it sits or how cold it is. I chocke it cold and will flog the throttle some and it starts, no issues.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

^^^ Same with mine. '09, bought it new. Never had an issue starting it, ever, at any temp. If it's cold, I need to choke it for a few seconds. When it's above 50 degrees F, no choke - it just starts right up.

I feel sorry for the guys having the issue. There has to be *some* difference (settings) from the factory... surprised nobody has figured it out yet. Drilling it may fix it, but it can't be the real cause, because mine's not drilled and it starts fine. I has to be something else... fuel screw maybe? Mine was out 2 full turns from the factory. Most people report theirs being out 1 turn, or less. Just a thought...

Old 04-05-2012, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
What TNC says from what I've read is the fix, I should just get over myself and do it. But then I would have to give up the royalty checks that keep pouring in from my patented procedure.

But seriously, it looks simple, maybe I will do it someday...
I should also do it some day but I have other things that are more important......plus the next time I take the Carb off I think I might be putting a pumper back on

Old 04-05-2012, 04:58 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
^^^ Same with mine. '09, bought it new. Never had an issue starting it, ever, at any temp. If it's cold, I need to choke it for a few seconds. When it's above 50 degrees F, no choke - it just starts right up.

I feel sorry for the guys having the issue. There has to be *some* difference (settings) from the factory... surprised nobody has figured it out yet. Drilling it may fix it, but it can't be the real cause, because mine's not drilled and it starts fine. I has to be something else... fuel screw maybe? Mine was out 2 full turns from the factory. Most people report theirs being out 1 turn, or less. Just a thought...
No, every engine is not exactly the same, though it should be in a perfect world. I'm speculating that the KACR "might" be the main culprit here, and apparently there may be differences in tolerances/setup in the KACR that cause different effects to compression. Lower compression creates less vacuum and draws less fuel for combustion. In those engines where the KACR may be the issue, adding more fuel improves the environment for better combustion at cold starting even with slightly lower compression. So, you can tweak the KACR...requires some grinding if I understand correctly...or you can drill the jet. Drilling the jet is an easier mod. The KACR is in play every time you start the engine. The starter jet is only in play when you pull the choke ****. These methods of helping cold starting by jetting, fuel screw, etc. may not be the best method. You only want more fuel during the cold start...not after the engine is fully warmed up.

On the KACR, ever notice the wide span of "acceptable" compression shown in the service manual when you do a mechanical compression check on the KLX? Again...speculation...but I'm thinking it's because the KACR isn't as precision a device as we might think. If the KACR or whatever other influence is causing difficult cold starts in some engines, it seems a very logical step to perform a simple task like drilling the starter jet when it really does solve the issue. My carb is jetted perfectly. I know how to jet a carb/engine. I get great power delivery that is smooth and predictable. I get great mileage on and off road. I try not to argue too much with success.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Default Choking to start

I have a 2006 that won't start without pulling the choke lever and removing the seat and manually choking it. When it's warm it starts right up.
Drilling the "Start Jet" seems like the solution to the root cause.
Has anyone drilled out the jet and with what size drill.

Thanks for the help,
Roy

Old 04-21-2012, 12:16 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MyKlx
I have a 2006 that won't start without pulling the choke lever and removing the seat and manually choking it. When it's warm it starts right up.

Thanks for the help,
Roy
Yes, it is the solution...an .018" bit.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

My 06 likes the choke and it likes the choke to stay on for a minute or two. It however starts instantly with the choke on. So I am not messing with it. I understand the bike and it understands I will choke it

Old 04-21-2012, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MyKlx

Thanks for the help,
Roy
Welcome Roy.
TNC ^^ recommends the right solution at 0.018" bit on the enrichment jet. Thanks to his pioneering, it has worked for many of us.

Quick Reply: KLX 250 Starting Problems