KLX 250 Starting Problems

Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Default KLX 250 Starting Problems

My '06 KLX with approx. 1200 miles , ( i just acquired) seems hard to start if it sits up for several days. . I can drain the carburetor float bowl ( about a tablespoon) and it will start right up. After that it will start with no problems, not having to choke or or drain again. The carb is clean. Any suggestions ? But if sits for several days , I have do this again.

Thanks

Old 04-03-2012, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

first of all- welcome to the KLX dirt club! hahaha
watch out for our Mr. Clean he'll chime in real soon I'm sure....

yup, common problem........many here turn off the fuel just before they get home and let it run out...... next start up turning the fuel back on no problems starting. I either lay it down or get out a T handle allan and empty........near as we can tell its some kind of vapor lock.
Also-- if I start it every day no problems---do a quick search this problem has been beat to death. One of the few downfalls; but otherwise a blast to ride!

Some have solved it with a pumper carb upgrade......

Old 04-03-2012, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I just use choke on mine and 1/4 turn accelerator . Fires on second try.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GeorgeNK
My '06 KLX with approx. 1200 miles , ( i just acquired) seems hard to start if it sits up for several days. . I can drain the carburetor float bowl ( about a tablespoon) and it will start right up. After that it will start with no problems, not having to choke or or drain again. The carb is clean. Any suggestions ? But if sits for several days , I have do this again.

Thanks
Common as can be. You'll find lots of threads here on the issue.
Turn your fuel petcock off the last tenth or so mile of your ride when you park. Or drill the enrichment (choke) jet out to 0.018". There's other tricks and fixes to.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

before you get flooded with a million different tip bike, flip carb, drain this, pump that, drill out this, slide the choke this far, crack throttle mumbo jumbo...........I have an 06 I had all the same starting problems as everyone else UNTIL. I did two things, I run the carb out of gas EVERYTIME it is going to sit more than a day. Then I bought a 40 dollar battery tender and plug in the bike EVERYTIME I park the bike(and run it out of gas). The bike has started in 15F degree weather with no issues. In fact, I promise it would start right now, and it has sat for over a week. The bike is stored outside under a covered patio.
Also, if you so as much crack the throttle at all while cranking, you effectively cancel the choke circuit. KLX CV carb uses an air bleed choke. Opening the throttle adds more air to the all ready lean cold start system You want LESS AIR and MORE fuel at cold start.
I had bad chokes on my 4 carb gsxr--------to get the bike started I would have to remove all four air filter------crank the motor and put my hand over each carb until I felt a massive suction followed by raw gas on my hand........repeat for all 4 carbs and POW she'd fire up LMAO.........I since fixed that issue.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:02 AM
1st Gear Member

on starting issues i have a 2008 klx 250 s and pritty much every time i start it i need the choke unless ive just had it on. even on 24^0c days durring summer. what could be causing this.
thanks
mike

Old 04-04-2012, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lanky
on starting issues i have a 2008 klx 250 s and pritty much every time i start it i need the choke unless ive just had it on. even on 24^0c days durring summer. what could be causing this.
thanks
mike
If you have one that starts that easy, count your blessings

Old 04-04-2012, 02:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
If you have one that starts that easy, count your blessings
Yep.. I am grateful for my KLX. Since day one - never ever ever had any sort of cold start issues.. It just works all the time, every time.

Good luck ironing things out.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wedge
first of all- welcome to the KLX dirt club! hahaha
watch out for our Mr. Clean he'll chime in real soon I'm sure....

yup, common problem........many here turn off the fuel just before they get home and let it run out...... next start up turning the fuel back on no problems starting. I either lay it down or get out a T handle allan and empty........near as we can tell its some kind of vapor lock.
Also-- if I start it every day no problems---do a quick search this problem has been beat to death. One of the few downfalls; but otherwise a blast to ride!

Some have solved it with a pumper carb upgrade......
Hahaha wow you guys really know me well huh?

Shut down procedure.

1. After riding as you are pulling into your driveway, or to speed things up you can do this a block from your house, turn off the gas.
2. Let the bike run until it actually dies from gas starvation, (this may take 2-5 minutes) But that's ok it will give you time to put away your gear.
3. Park it and now you're ready for the next time you ride whether that be in a day, or a month.

Start up procedure.

1. Turn on the gas
2. Wait for 10 seconds
3. Start the bike as you always do

Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

The bikes that have this issue...and there are lots of them...have just one problem. Not enough fuel is available for a cold start. The only thing that will truly fix it without overly enrichening the pilot circuit, or doing all manner of fuel drainage and other needless exercises is drilling the starter jet by a tiny amount. The starter jet only works during the starting process when you pull the choke on. It's completely out of the mix when the choke is off. This is a modern motorcycle. You shouldn't have to putz with running fuel out of the carb, leaning the bike over, or other hokey-pokey dance acts with your bike.

Yes, the bikes that have this problem might have slight issues with the KACR or other inherent issues that contribute to cold starting...but...drilling the starter jet this tiny amount will overcome these issues with cold start any way you look at it...unless something is actually broken in your bike. It's simple. There's not enough fuel to mix with the available air for a proper mixture to ignite at cold starting. Whether it's brought on by a low compression influence from the KACR, too small a starter jet, or all of the above, the additional fuel at cold start when you pull the choke will overcome it without having to perform any other tasks.

This isn't as unusual as one might think. I was first exposed to it in the 70's when I was working part time as a mechanic at a motorcycle shop. One year model of KZ650 came out with this same issue. Not all, but a very large percentage of the 650's that year had consistent cold start problems. Owners in more northern parts of the country had it even worse. Lots of dead batteries. Drilling the starter jet a tiny bit...a real hassle in a 4-carb setup...cured the problem.

Once you drill the jet on your KLX, it will start like a "normal" bike without having to putz with other weird gyrations and efforts.

Attached Thumbnails KLX 250 Starting Problems-starter-jet.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KLX 250 Starting Problems