KLX 250 S newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX 250 S newbie questions

Hey I'm a newbie to motorcycles and I bought a 2014 KLX 250S as my first a few months ago. I did the 600 mile maintenance through the dealer and the odometer now reads about 1020 miles. I've recently noticed an odd noise from the chain or the front sprocket when the chain is in motion. I took a closer look and the chain looks fine, both cogs (sprockets) look fine, but I did notice that there is a piece of black plastic on top of the swing arm that the chain is cutting a groove into. Is this normal? A friend suggested that it might be a wear bar or some sort of protection for the swing arm, which makes sense, but I figured I'd better ask the forum and hopefully glean some knowledge from you.
Here's a picture:

Attached Thumbnails KLX 250 S newbie questions-wearbaronswingarm_large.jpg   KLX 250 S newbie questions-img_4800.jpg   KLX 250 S newbie questions-img_4801.jpg  

Last edited by mightythree; 07-26-2015 at 07:25 PM. Reason: add more pics
Old 07-26-2015, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mightythree
Hey I'm a newbie to motorcycles and I bought a 2014 KLX 250S as my first a few months ago. I did the 600 mile maintenance through the dealer and the odometer now reads about 1020 miles. I've recently noticed an odd noise from the chain or the front sprocket when the chain is in motion. I took a closer look and the chain looks fine, both cogs (sprockets) look fine, but I did notice that there is a piece of black plastic on top of the swing arm that the chain is cutting a groove into. Is this normal? A friend suggested that it might be a wear bar or some sort of protection for the swing arm, which makes sense, but I figured I'd better ask the forum and hopefully glean some knowledge from you.
Here's a picture:
From the pic it kinda looks like the chain is adjusted to tight.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Gonna agree with gtklx250, from the first pic looks like the chain is to tight.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

A groove is normal, but it does look like your chain is too tight, which will put too much stress on your countershaft.
Congrats on your first bike!

Old 07-27-2015, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Savage
A groove is normal, but it does look like your chain is too tight, which will put too much stress on your countershaft.
Congrats on your first bike!
+1. Set the chain slack at the loose end of spec.

Yes the side plates will groove the chain slider. Once the rollers contact the slider the wear will slow way down. Nice to see a lubed rather than rusty chain.
Enjoy the little pony.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

That chain it's too tight for sure, my quick check for the KLX is bike on the side stand and in neutral, then I apply pressure on the middle of the chain with my finger or toe and if I can barely get the chain to touch the lower side rear bolt on that black plastic swing arm slider then I know it's on the tighter end of the spectrum. Also, most will say error on the side if it being loose rather than tight. The specs should be on the swing arm sticker.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

With a decent chain there is no risk of having it come off the sprockets running loose. There's a whole lot of play in the chain on mx and enduro bikes with a bit more travel than the dual sport.

By the way I didn't see if anyone mentioned it, that slider is replaceable when worn out. It's expendable.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I appreciate all the reply's. You're right - I wanted some eyes on and took the bike down to the local cycle shop and they confirmed what you all were saying, the chain slider is meant to protect the swing arm and it is replaceable. they quoted $30 for the part. They suggested that it can be worn pretty thin too. So I guess that I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe replacing it at 3000 miles.
Thanks!

Old 07-29-2015, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I could use a new one at 45,000 miles, it's the original.
It's got some real grooves in it now.
Loosen the chain like others said, that will cause heartache if left too tight.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I was looking at the chain slider and it looks like you can just unscrew it (4 total) and rotate it on the X axis, making what is currently on top of the swing arm now on the under side of the swing arm and save a few bucks..

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: KLX 250 S newbie questions