KLX 250 - difference between the engines (carb/injector)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Lightbulb KLX 250 - difference between the engines (carb/injector)

Hi,

My injected engine is fully broken (KLX 250, 2010 year), can I replace it with a regular carburetor engine (without a carburetor of course). I'm planning to do it because an injected engines costs much more expensive that an engine from a carburettor KLX.

Or they are deceiving me? There is a difference between a fuel-injected engine and a carburetor engine (except a carburetor and injector)?

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2015, 11:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moskrc
Hi,

My injected engine is fully broken (KLX 250, 2010 year), can I replace it with a regular carburetor engine (without a carburetor of course). I'm planning to do it because an injected engines costs much more expensive that an engine from a carburettor KLX.

Or they are deceiving me? There is a difference between a fuel-injected engine and a carburetor engine (except a carburetor and injector)?

Thanks!
Only the ECU/CDI plus the Injector/Carb should be different. If you are keeping all you stock electrics, injectors etc, the mechanical parts should all be identical. Piston, barrel, head, cams etc, all the same. There are forum members that have converted carb bikes to EFI and others that have done EFI to carb. not too difficult at all.
What is " fully broken" on your engine??

Old 07-05-2015, 12:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with the question... what is "fully broken"? I worked in a shop and didn't really see too many engines that weren't cheaper to fix than to replace, unless it was something like a CB350 or the like where you buy a donor bike.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:14 PM

Not sure if this project ever got underway, but just to make sure the right information is out there...

From what I've managed to find, the cams, piston, and barrel/cylinder are the same...

The cylinder head is the same casting however the part where the carb holder or throttle body holder bolts to the head is finished differently - different diameter and the bolt spacing is different.

This is a big deal as it means there's no straightforward way to use a carbed head with the EFI throttle body or vice versa.

I'm trying to find the thread where a guy posted pics of each, but he had both in hand and did a side by side and they were clearly different. This stopped me from just buying a Euro/Asian market throttle body and rubber holder for the fuel injection project for my North American bike.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I fitted a carb head to my FI bike. Bolt holes for the throttle body holder / carb holder are slightly different, But you can elongate the holes on the rubber holder, no worries. the other one is the Temp sensor for the FI. is on the head. this has to be drilled and tapped. But it works fine. (So far)