KL250 aka Super Sherpa

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by beevel
I live in your neck of the wood and my wife has super Sherpa. Which we purchased about a year ago, and has to be one of the most cold blooded motorcycles I've ever had. I originally did a Dr Jeckyl rejet, which didn't solve the cold start issues. I have since ( after much research ) changed her bike to the following, 127.5 main jet ( which is the stock size), small washer to raise the needle position a bit, and most recently a 35 pilot jet which makes all the difference in the world for starting and off idle response. I wish I would have ordered a 30 instead because my fuel screw is only about 3/4 turns out but happy enough that I will probably leave it as is for the this season.

The airbox is unmodified.

As to fuel tank, I ordered a black clark tank for a Honda xr650l and mounted that to the bike. Pretty simple actually, need to changed the frame pucks and make a bracket to support the back of the tank.

Like I said i'm in your neck of the woods and might be attending the newbie ride next weekend ( depends on whether my counter shaft seals show up in time) I'd be happy to let you see it if you want.

I ordered my jets from pjsparts.
From reading over at ThumperTalk, I ordered a #20 Pilot and #130 Main. The poster claimed it fixed his problem.
Yes...VERY cold blooded...I thought my TW was bad, this one is worse!

I won't be riding the Sherpa at the Newbie Ride...it will be me and my wife on the DR...you can't miss us; we're the only ones riding "two-up" and my ride has a big silver Givi case on the back.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Qwazert
From reading over at ThumperTalk, I ordered a #20 Pilot and #130 Main. The poster claimed it fixed his problem.
Yes...VERY cold blooded...I thought my TW was bad, this one is worse!

I won't be riding the Sherpa at the Newbie Ride...it will be me and my wife on the DR...you can't miss us; we're the only ones riding "two-up" and my ride has a big silver Givi case on the back.
Advrider has a super Sherpa thread as well. That's the one that I got my jetting specs from. The 130 20 combination was the first one I tried, it did improve from stock, but its not as good as my current settings. Not saying it won't work for yours but if you find that your bike is still cold blooded then give my settings a try.

Also the advider Sherpa thread also shows how others have mounted larger fuel tanks.

Anyway enjoy the Sherpa they run nice, once the stock jetting is tossed.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I plan to open up the airbox though...I don't buy bikes thinking about how to keep them stock so that I can sell them, so I'm comfortable making changes that work for ME. If you know what I mean...

That SS thread is like 300 pages long...I've gotten to about 30 so far...it's quite a read!

Last edited by Qwazert; 03-25-2015 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:25 PM

Ahhh. Another Sherpa owner. The forgotten model. Mine is a 2002 with 16000 miles. I have only had it one year. The stock carb settings are challenging. I will be shimming the stock needle and turning out the mix screw to begin with shortly (snow on the ground again this AM.) I really enjoyed this bike last summer and even have decided to rig it for traveling with a rear Cyclerack (will be my second), saddlebags, tank bag (stocker), tank panniers (ATV tank panniers from Tusk $20 on Fleabay) etc. I have a 2000 KLR 650 that I travelled with last year. The Sherpa is a much finer built machine in almost every way. Hard to believe they are the same brand! Can we get our own spot here?

Old 03-25-2015, 02:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, it woul be nice to have a section dedicated to the Sherpa...how about it Admin?