KL250 aka Super Sherpa

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KL250 aka Super Sherpa

Greetings.
I didn't see a section dedicated solely to this model, so I thought I would post this in the 250 section...Admins can move this if desired.

I've been reading up on re-jetting the little one, but there is no mention as to whether there is an airbox modification that goes with it.
On most other models, re-jetting means opening the airbox to a certain degree.
Any insight?

Old 03-22-2015, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Qwazert
Greetings.
I didn't see a section dedicated solely to this model, so I thought I would post this in the 250 section...Admins can move this if desired.

I've been reading up on re-jetting the little one, but there is no mention as to whether there is an airbox modification that goes with it.
On most other models, re-jetting means opening the airbox to a certain degree.
Any insight?
Yes, normally. Most bikes are jetted lean from the factory and when you uncork the airbox(either by drilling holes, removing snorkle, etc) the mixture goes so lean it will affect performance. I would start by either buying a performance jet/needle kit or shim the stock needle and richen up the AF screw. After this, start opening up the airbox by removing snorkle, 3x3 mod, remove lid etc. Then look at opening up the exhaust. Jetting and airbox mods are required on 90 percent of factory bikes, luckily it is easy. Good luck

Old 03-23-2015, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Thank you for the reply.
It was the same for my DR650...terribly lean from the factory and required extensive tinkering to get rid of the lean surge. Bought a ProCycle jet/needle kit and it helped immensely but then I broke down and bought a pumper carb the next season.

Do you have any links as to where I could buy one of these "performance jet/needle kits" for my little Sherpa? Procycle doesn't stock items for the KL...

Old 03-23-2015, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Thank you for the reply.
It was the same for my DR650...terribly lean from the factory and required extensive tinkering to get rid of the lean surge. Bought a ProCycle jet/needle kit and it helped immensely but then I broke down and bought a pumper carb the next season.

Do you have any links as to where I could buy one of these "performance jet/needle kits" for my little Sherpa? Procycle doesn't stock items for the KL...
I'd just figure out what jets you have and buy a couple larger pilots and mains, and shim the needle, try here
http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_dirt/kawasaki_250_KL250_super_sherpa.htm

But the cheapest would be to shim the needle, richen the AF screw and possibly drill the slide port a tad bigger. These free mods worked great on both a klx400 and dr650 of mine.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

Thanks....I appreciate the help!

Old 03-23-2015, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Do you know of any online dealers who sell parts for this model?
I've dealt with BikeBandit before and I had no problems getting parts for my DR or TW...but it's as if the 2006 KL250 doesn't exist!
There's lots of listing for KLX's and KLR's and the KL's that I have found only go as far as 2004, then it picks up again at 2009!
I can't seem to find OEM parts for this year of KL....

Old 03-23-2015, 11:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Try RonAyers.com.
But they don't list every year, just years where changes were made. So if the 06 hasn't changed from the 04, it might not be listed.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks...I'll try Ron Ayers!

Old 03-24-2015, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I saw your posts on advrider and dualsportbc as well.

Thanks...I'll try Ron Ayers!
I live in your neck of the wood and my wife has super Sherpa. Which we purchased about a year ago, and has to be one of the most cold blooded motorcycles I've ever had. I originally did a Dr Jeckyl rejet, which didn't solve the cold start issues. I have since ( after much research ) changed her bike to the following, 127.5 main jet ( which is the stock size), small washer to raise the needle position a bit, and most recently a 35 pilot jet which makes all the difference in the world for starting and off idle response. I wish I would have ordered a 30 instead because my fuel screw is only about 3/4 turns out but happy enough that I will probably leave it as is for the this season.

The airbox is unmodified.

As to fuel tank, I ordered a black clark tank for a Honda xr650l and mounted that to the bike. Pretty simple actually, need to changed the frame pucks and make a bracket to support the back of the tank.

Like I said i'm in your neck of the woods and might be attending the newbie ride next weekend ( depends on whether my counter shaft seals show up in time) I'd be happy to let you see it if you want.

I ordered my jets from pjsparts.

Last edited by beevel; 03-24-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:01 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums. Q

Quick Reply: KL250 aka Super Sherpa