The KACR on the KLX250S

Old 10-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Default The KACR on the KLX250S

Nobrakes posted a very nice picture of the end of his cam. The one that has the KACR - aka, Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release on it.

And that got me to thinking about the need for it on the KLX250S.

The function of it is to bleed the compression off when trying to start a hot motor, as the starter will not be able to turn the engine over. Typically this is MORE prevalent on a larger displacement single cylinder engine. A very well respected person - at least by me - is KLRCARY, one of the chief wrenches at Schnitz Racing up in the midwest. Here's a link: Schnitz Racing

KLRCARY has removed this from his KLR650 and reports that there is less noise from the motor. However, when it is HOT, it is harder to start. The reason he has removed his KACR is that there are reports of this part coming apart and ruining an otherwise great motor.

So, I'm wondering if this is something we might want to try on the KLR250S?

From the picture, it looks like drilling out a couple of rivets is all it would take. When KLR650.net comes back up, I'll contact KLRCARY and ask him about this.

Just looking to make the KLX a bit better.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: The KACR on the KLX250S

Be sure and let us know what he says, Marty. I like simple and that mechanism looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

mmmmm

If it doesn't cause a problem and makes for easier hot starting the I'm sticking with it.

But! If sombody wants to give it a go then I look forward to the posts.

But...if the lighter engine internals gives me 0.00000002 hp increase then it's in the bin with it.

errrr just joking Marty. I do not know what i'm talking about.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

anyone think of removing that may throw off the balance of the cam?

Old 10-04-2006, 04:04 PM

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

anyone think of removing that may throw off the balance of the cam?

I doubt that it would make any difference at all. Looks like the balance on the cam, which turns at half speed of the engine, would not be compromised by doing this.

KLRCARY has already said his is running very good with no ill-effects, other than starting it when hot.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:39 PM

I am not quite understanding exactly which part in the pic is the part in question. Can someone load the pic up into MS Paint or something and plop a circle around what we are talking about here.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-04-2006, 08:45 PM

I don't have the ability to do that at work. However, basically all the parts you see, weights, spring and such are all the parts of KACR.

Hey, it takes some metal out of the bike!

Old 10-04-2006, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

To my knowledege the have been 2 people on this forum who have had problems with their motors. Those problems turned out to be this compression release setup on Both Bikes. Maybe its just me but that doesnt bode to well and could be a future problem for the rest of us. Some food for thought.

LV

Old 10-05-2006, 03:31 AM

ORIGINAL: LordVngr

To my knowledege the have been 2 people on this forum who have had problems with their motors. Those problems turned out to be this compression release setup on Both Bikes. Maybe its just me but that doesnt bode to well and could be a future problem for the rest of us. Some food for thought.

LV

That is my primary motivation for investigating the removal of this heinous device from our motorcycles.

KLR650.net has been down for a couple of days now. Once it gets back up I can contact KLRCARY and do some more discussion on this subject. I think he will give me some photos of just what he did when he removed his from his KLR650.

I'm thinking this is one of those "niceities", not necessities on the motor. I would like to know more about this and KLRCARY is the guy to talk with.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't think there would be a problem removing it. Aftermarket performance HotCams do not have automatic compresion release built in, they only recommend not running a high compression piston. On a side note has anybody considered or are running aftermarket cams?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The KACR on the KLX250S