K&N oil filters ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default K&N oil filters ?

Anyone run one? I bought two as they were cheaper then OEM but they don't fit. My oil filter cap would not seat by hand like the OEM filter. Side by side the K&N is a touch taller. Maybe 2mm. Just curious if anyone else has run into this issue.

Luckly I had one OEM filter left.

Thanks

Old 03-16-2016, 06:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by s10gto
Anyone run one? I bought two as they were cheaper then OEM but they don't fit. My oil filter cap would not seat by hand like the OEM filter. Side by side the K&N is a touch taller. Maybe 2mm. Just curious if anyone else has run into this issue.

Luckly I had one OEM filter left.

Thanks
That sucks.. Whats the part number?

Last edited by kennysupermoto; 03-16-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kennysupermoto
thats sucks.. Whats the part number?
kn-112

Old 03-16-2016, 02:11 PM
1st Gear Member

The KN 112 is suppose to be the correct filter. I haven't used them yet, but planned on ordering some. Are you sure the old rubber gasket came out with your old filter? Any chance that stuck inside? Please keep us posted about what you find. I'll hold off on my order for now.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I've been using nothing but the k&n 112 for the past year or so. No problems, but...

I was going to post about this but forgot. I bought a new one last month from a local shop. Usually I'll buy them online from another local place but was getting some oil and figured I'd pick up a filter since I was there. When I went to use it I noticed the glue job on the filter looked kind of bad. And the folding of the paper wasn't very uniform. It also didn't look as "finished" as the ones I had been using. Like, a bit dirty looking?

It got me wondering so I compared it to the old one and another one I forgot I had. It looked different. The box was also different. Similar but not the same. Also a smaller box. It said "made in Korea" on the bottom. The good filter didn't have that on the bottom. Comparing the filters side by side, their heights were different, but not by much.

Being where I live, I figure it could be a knockoff from China. Or possible just made in a different factory?

Old 03-16-2016, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I have been using them for yrs. Never had a problem.. Maybe there is a bad batch out there.. I oil change all the time and have used 7-8 of them all with no problems

Old 03-16-2016, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Werloc
The KN 112 is suppose to be the correct filter. I haven't used them yet, but planned on ordering some. Are you sure the old rubber gasket came out with your old filter? Any chance that stuck inside? Please keep us posted about what you find. I'll hold off on my order for now.
No chance. I am a certified auto tech. Housing was clear. I even tried it with no spring for a test.

I am going to go wrap a pair of calipers on them.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok element of the k&n is 36.5 mm. OEM is 35mm. On the rear of the filter it is recess. Both filters recess the same (were the spring and three case bosses fit. If I measure the whole filter gasket to base the k&n is 38.5 mm. OEM is 36.5.

When I try to place the filter cover in it stops at the o-ring about 1 mm from flush.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Werloc. Send me your address. I will send you one. Try your luck.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by s10gto
No chance. I am a certified auto tech. Housing was clear. I even tried it with no spring for a test.

I am going to go wrap a pair of calipers on them.
LOL, Sorry, well, I didn't know and wasn't implying your an idiot. You don't know everyones skills on here. I was just trying to cover the basics. I'm a certified MC mechanic, and just tryin to help. Some people can't turn a wrench nor should they.....lol. You know what I mean. I've seen it happen. Just tryin to help ya......

Quick Reply: K&N oil filters ?