K&N Air Filter for 2009 KLX250S

Old 09-03-2008, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default K&N Air Filter for 2009 KLX250S

My local dealer said he couldn't find a part number for a K&N Air Filter for the 2009 KLX250S. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The only item that came up on the K&N website for the 09 was an oil filter.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

eBay has one listed I believe.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 09-04-2008, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Why a K&N air filter? Does the 09' KLX come with an foam air filter?

Old 09-04-2008, 04:26 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

the KLX ('09 or older) air filter is the same filter as most KX 2-strokes (125 and up) and virtually every KLX or KDX produced from the mid to late 80's to present day, same with rear sprockets.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks WestOz and 09KLX! It's on order.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by markcr
My local dealer said he couldn't find a part number for a K&N Air Filter for the 2009 KLX250S. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The only item that came up on the K&N website for the 09 was an oil filter.

I read a 12-page report on air filters two years ago and what I recall from it is that K&N air filters do a great job of passing air but a lousy job of FILTERING air. If you're going to ride in the dirt, you want FILTERED air, right? Just my 2 cents worth!

Last edited by Magoo; 09-04-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

yep, that's right. kn filters suck off-road. they can't flow record amounts of air and filter dirt out at the same time. just not logically possible. get a Uni or twin-air and call it a day. don't you think that if the kn filters were so good, RC or Mc would have used them? they didn't.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I've used them for years and enjoyed the improved performance. Are they the best at filtering dirt? Nope. Do they filter enough dirt to keep from destroying my engine? Yep. I haven't lost a motor do to poor air filtering yet (I did blow apart a piston skirt on my '93 Honda CR250R during a race once, but that was due to running WFO all the time without changing the piston that year). I'm not saying you guys are wrong. It's a known fact that K&N is more about improved airflow than completely eliminating every dust particle. I'm just saying that I've always had good luck with them and never known anyone who has blown up a motor due to using a K&N air filter.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree Mark, plus, you can get a precharger to go with them if you like to filter extra dust out.

09KLXowner. I wouldn't use the RC and MC point you made as rock hard evidence. Those guys run whoever pays them. They have their motors rebuilt every race and they are riding on watered down closed course circuits, putting no more than a hour or two on their motors before a rebuilt. You could almost get away with just clamping a piece of an old T-shirt over the intake at those rates.

K&N's do alright, plus like I said. Theres prechargers too to prefilter dirt before it gets there. Plus take into effect, you only need that super high filtration if your doing alot of dusty dirt riding. We use dual sports so some if not all our riding is on the road. Street bikes usually have just single layer paper filters like whats in a car.

So really it all depends on what your doing. I personally feel if your using this bike for dirt riding under REALLY dusting conditions I say toss the twin air and UNI out the window and keep buying the stocker. Have you guys seen this thing? its like an inch thick of super dense heavy foam. Nothings getting through that. The UNI's and Twin Air's pass more air as well. Espeically the UNI, that course outer layer definately does before it hits the finer foam. Yes the finer foam does a better job but its not as good as having an entire filter made form it. So I wouldn't depend on UNIs and TA's as the filter of God or anything. Like I said, all depends on what your doing. I almost bought a K&N myself and probably should have because they are garaunteed for a million miles but the price put me off, so I went with a UNI.
________
Vapir no2

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter for 2009 KLX250S