Just picked up a 2006 klx 250

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 03:33 PM
Default Just picked up a 2006 klx 250

Hey guys new to the Forum long time member to Thumpertalk and various kz forums and z1 forums.

well a friend of mine had a 2006 klx that he bought new and he hadn't riden it or even started it in about 6 years. he was gonna just throw it away so I asked him if I could have it.. so now I have it.. put a new air filter in changed the oil and other fluids cleaned the carb and cleaned the tank and put new blinkers on it and it is now back on the road.. has a titanium FMF pipe on it and jetting kit.. also a clark oversized tank..

does anyone know any mods on these? cant seem to find plastic for it either.. anyone know of what shrouds will work on these? or the front fender? I have various kx's I might try and see what will work on it.. mainly wanna get some pre printed # backgrounds on it and just run around town on it..

Thanks!

Old 02-20-2015, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice score.

Unfortunately the only plastics options are factory or custom fit something else with the exception of the front fender, the Acerbis universal fronts seem to fit quite nicely once you get the bolt spacing correct. I have the acerbis sumo front on mine and love it.

As for mods, the sky is the limit with the klx in many ways if you have deep enough pockets. I love my big bore and am looking to eventually do a TM36-68 pumper carb with full exhuast. Webcams also makes a set of drop ins that should alter the factory cam timing quite nicely, which are also on my to-do list. A fully modded big bore KLX can kiss 33HP pretty easily.

Good luck with your new bike.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Just go to the early pages of this forum lots of good information back there you just have to dig it up.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

The pre-2009 KLX250s have either the same or similar plastics to the KLX300 and same fenders/headlight nacelle as the KLX650s. Front fenders are almost universal if you drill new holes Maier makes an MX style rear fender. No one makes side plates and this is the one place where I'm not sure if the 300 stuff will fit or not, Side panels and radiator shrouds are always the problem between models.

In my signature is a link to a document on Cheap Mods for the KLX250s in general for the US/Canada. My brother found them on line somewhere, I copied and pasted them into a Google document that anyone can view with the link. A few notes were added by me about adding the Dial-A-Jet, which both my brother and I did. He did his after running the jetting changes and found it smoothed out power delivery. Total cost of hop ups not counting a pipe or Dial-A-Jet is well under $100, the Dial-A-Jet is around $80 and eliminates future messing with jetting when done according to their instructions.

There is also a link for the Marcelino Cam (timing) Modification which absolutely works improving power a bit. It is proven out by a fair number of riders on the 09 and later models. Only information on pre-09 was from one rider who did not have it work for him. If you do the research on cam timing, ignition timing and find the 06 is the same as the 09 the MCM should work. It's not earth shaking it just boosts power a bit through the middle and upper range, peaking at about the same rpm as stock.

Hope that helps. Have fun.