Was a bit of fun, here's some photos

I also made a short video of the install:

Old 12-29-2014, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice first post. Welcome to KF.

How's it starting with the kicker?

Old 12-29-2014, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I would have just put a new battery in it.... !

Your running asbestos (or whatever) cover over your pipe near the muffler. I put some on my beamer up by the head and I swear it runs a lot better. It is FI though.

Now you don't have to worry about stopping at the top of the hill on the trail.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Outstanding Post!

Old 12-29-2014, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys! The pipe wrap is to prevent passengers' boots melting on the exhaust, rather than for performance increase.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

How do you like the PMR racks? I've been looking for side and rear rack for my KLX and I've narrowed my choices to Happy Trails or PMR.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klxnoobie
How do you like the PMR racks? I've been looking for side and rear rack for my KLX and I've narrowed my choices to Happy Trails or PMR.
That protrusion just above the passenger footpeg would be a deal breaker for me. Looks like it would catch your heel or the back of your leg on a put down or foot kick back.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member

@IDRIDR, It isn't too hard to kick. It's certainly easier than my Father's KTM 350.

@KLXNoobie, I like them enough. It took me a while to find side racks which would work for my '07. Given there are a number of choices for the '09+, and each seems to have one issue or another.

The ones I know of are the Moose, which is expensive and poorly reviewed. The Mmoto kind, which look a lot like the Happy Trails, but are much cheaper. Then TCI's variants, which seem rather specific. I know I'm forgetting that one which requires removing the rear foot pegs, but that's issue enough.

For the cost, I like the PMRs. I think that they have a better look than racks designed for mounting hard cases (these have a very organic form), and 'look' like they belong. I prefer soft luggage anyhow.

Though I kinda wish there was a crossbar connecting the two on the back. I like the idea of using these offroad as protection in a crash, but I imagine anything too rough would just bend the washers off the frame.

As far as passengers go, it's not that bad. I've had two people ride a while while they were on, and no complaints. Despite how much it sticks out, I have yet to bump into it accidentally whilst riding.

It does bother me that the rack blocks the helmet lock. You can still use it, but you have to carry a cable to go through your helmet.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reply. I like the looks of them as well. I want some lightweight racks for throw over panniers and PMR seem to check all the boxes. Plus you can't beat the price.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice work. I also added the kick starter to my 06 klx. I did it at the same time as I put the BB351 on it. It's just a nice piece of insurance knowing it's there just in case you need it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed a Kickstarter on my '07 KLX