Install time Bill Blue 351 and pumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Install time Bill Blue 351 and pumper

Hey all,

Just wondering what a rough estimate is for install time of the 351 and pumper, for someone with, say, intermediate mechanics skills? With a well equipped shop.

Just trying to time it right...

Thanks

Last edited by Dash8; 09-25-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I can do the 351 in 3 hours start to finish. But have done it a few times. I would plan 6 hours taking your time with beer breaks. As for the carb shouldn't take much longer than reinstalling the stock one.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Perfect, thanks! Wished I lived closer to you so I could bribe you with beer and pizza to keep an eye on me when I do it, so I don't screw it up ��

Would you happen to know of any in depth vids or posts, kind of like a "big bore for dummies" type thing, that I might has missed in my search?

Old 09-25-2015, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

You will probably want to consider a new gasket for the valve cover, based on your year & age.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Spend an hour cleaning before you turn a wrench. I've only recently taken this to heart, it's worth it. You get two minutes back in work time for each minute you spend cleaning.

Read up before hand a try and have all the tools together.

I've done three top ends now, each one gets smoother, each time I clean more. Not a coincidence I think.

Put the wrist in in the freezer the night before you start and if you don't have a wrist pin tool have one made up from a bolt and some washers. The BB wrist pin can be tight.

I've used something like this.

For the pumper, the jets in my sig file are a setup many people are using, or something very close. Have all the jets ready to go. Order themin advance.

Good luck.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys! All good advice...

just deciding on of these options, as the minister of finance (wife)won't sign off on more than a grand right now..

1) 351 kit and bills 33/34 pumper carb

or

2) 351 Kit, keep stock carb and rejet, and get a new exhaust.

or

3) 351 kit and try the T36-68 carb. but bill says the T36-68 won't fit, as the boots will be the wrong sizes, and cables won't fit. I don't really want to go goofing with a whole new project if I can help it...

I'm not really after wheelies, but want to be able to pop the front up over obstacles on the trail, preferably without, or less, clutching all the time.

The end result will be getting everything done, but for now I have to decide on only 2 things ..

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 09-29-2015, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Tons of people have done the 36/38. I did it, everyone has done it. There is one on eBay now for $220 with free shipping. Snap it up now. The BB carb is $400 use the remainder to save towards a pipe, or buy my old Supertrapp system for $120 shipped and still come out ahead!

The cables and everything work fine with the TM36-68. Not a problem.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by taxonomy
Tons of people have done the 36/38. I did it, everyone has done it. There is one on eBay now for $220 with free shipping. Snap it up now. The BB carb is $400 use the remainder to save towards a pipe, or buy my old Supertrapp system for $120 shipped and still come out ahead!

The cables and everything work fine with the TM36-68. Not a problem.

I saw that carb, just wasn't sure if the A model was the right one... ive thrown an offer in, just waiting... CDN dollar sucks hard right now so trying to save a little lol..

Which supertrapp do you have? Does it have the spark arrestor? they are pretty tough on that here, and under 95db.

Thanks!

Old 09-29-2015, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dash8
I saw that carb, just wasn't sure if the A model was the right one... ive thrown an offer in, just waiting... CDN dollar sucks hard right now so trying to save a little lol..

Which supertrapp do you have? Does it have the spark arrestor? they are pretty tough on that here, and under 95db.

Thanks!
The bill blue is carb is still going to be $400 compared to that $220 TM36-68. Don't let it slip away.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...st-full-42752/

You can make the exhaust as loud or as quiet as you want. The way the supertrapp is designed it is the spark arrestor.

The 351/TM36-68 bike is awesome. It is far, far ahead of the stock bike. Add that Supertrapp and the power is baked in.

Last edited by taxonomy; 09-29-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by taxonomy
The bill blue is carb is still going to be $400 compared to that $220 TM36-68. Don't let it slip away.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...st-full-42752/

You can make the exhaust as loud or as quiet as you want. The way the supertrapp is designed it is the spark arrestor.

The 351/TM36-68 bike is awesome. It is far, far ahead of the stock bike. Add that Supertrapp and the power is baked in.

You're right. I bought the carb lol. Was a damn good deal...

Not sure about the supertrapp. 120 shipped eh?? Hmmm

Quick Reply: Install time Bill Blue 351 and pumper