Injector change to Carburator

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 10:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Injector change to Carburator

I've got a fuel injected 2008 250s and I am thinking about changing to a carb because my fuel is so dirty here in the highlands of New Guinea and the injector keeps plugging up. Any advice? I don't know how complicated or even possible this is? I am sure I will be giving up something but pulling the injector out in the middle of the jungle ain't no fun either.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Its possible and have been done before. Especially when people upgrade to big bore kits.

Check out GT-rider forum. Asian forum where a few people have done the mod I think
http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-mot...p/92-Technical

Last edited by Nikolaj Lykke; 05-24-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

More than one company makes a filter/sock that you leave in your tank just for the purpose of preventing clogged injectors

Name:  IMG_0790.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  36.0 KB

This one from KTM and FMF or some other big aftermarket company sells them

Old 05-25-2014, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks. there is s super fine sleeve/sock around the fuel pump in the tank. the fine rust gets thru it. i don't know if the aftermarket versions are finer than the original kawasaki version?

Old 05-25-2014, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Papua Man
I've got a fuel injected 2008 250s and I am thinking about changing to a carb because my fuel is so dirty here in the highlands of New Guinea and the injector keeps plugging up. Any advice? I don't know how complicated or even possible this is? I am sure I will be giving up something but pulling the injector out in the middle of the jungle ain't no fun either.
I would not see any reason why the injector set up could not be removed unless there is something electronic that taps into the ignition.

You are definitely in one situation where the carburetor would be easier to live with, but I am just guessing.

Carburetors aren't an absolute negative on a motorcycle seeing as how they were on motorcycles far longer than injection. The trick would be to do the jetting to get the carb right rather than have the lean jetting from the factory. That would make up for any starting issues as far as cold starts. From there, they would work fine. They had for years before now.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I think from what I saw on this forum before, the rubber intake for the carb is a different internal shape than the carb intake. So if you switch get a new/used carb intake.

Some of the after market companies advertise how many microns small the hole their socks are. Though you'd be guessing at the microns of the Kaw sock

What if you bought and stored a little gas ahead of when you need it, would the rust settle to the bottom of your storage can ? Or pour it from can to another with a paper coffee filter in the funnel.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks, good input. I live at 4000ft and in my normal work (we run schools in the highlands) I ride up to 11,000ft so running lean is good cause of the elevation. with the 7 liter tank I have to refill at various locations. For example, when I go into the nearest town I can't make the round trip on one tank... i could probably go with a bigger tank and then base out of here with the coffee filter idea....or i could strap on a coke bottle of fuel and take it with me and save 250bucks on buying a bigger tank. I am not exactly wallowing in cash in my line of work! thanks for the good input, i am always for finding the simple, cheap, good solution...

Old 05-26-2014, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I got a stock CV carb, ready to go. Or are you upgrading to pumper?

Old 05-26-2014, 08:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't know what I am doing. The injection system I've got has the 7 liter tank with fuel pump in it, I believe it is all pressurized. I assume with the carb I don't need a fuel pump and I'd like to have a bigger tank but cash is tight. Do you have the rubber intake with the carb? and how much do you want for it all? My family is from tucson so it is possible I could get it to them and then next run out to papua I could have someone bring it but that is going to be a logistical challenge... mailing stuff here is sort of like throwing it as far as you can into the pacific ocean and seeing if it arrives on this side...

Old 05-26-2014, 09:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Seems like someone's FI intake had a deep groove the bottom; and you'd want to compare your injector body's diameter to the CV carb's diameter.

You may need another throttle cable as well.

You'd be all set if you could just filter your gas as it went into the tank.