Engineering Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Default Engineering Project

Hi all,

I will be starting my final year of mechanical engineering in September and have to decide on a final capstone project. I am wanting to something related to the klx250s (obviously), however I am having trouble coming up with good ideas. I thought that I would ask for the forums input as there are so many knowledgeable people on this forum. We have access to a full machine shop, plastics shop, and basically anything needed to build/fabricate almost anything.

I am open to any reasonable suggestions!

By the way I just did the 1000 Km service, as well as a stage II re-jet, snorkel removed, and the FMF Q4 slip-on. What a difference! The muffler is a little loud for around town in my opinion, but so worth it.

Thanks in advance for your input,

PGBC

Old 06-26-2013, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Two ideas:
1) The rear rack could be re-designed to carry additional weight, typical of dual-sport needs.
2) The case-saver (forward of the counter shaft sprocket) is a little wimpy and could be improved (see Dan888 as he's done some work on this).

Old 06-26-2013, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

IDRIDR, if Cycleracks makes one for the '06 - '07, the rear rack you want might already exist. The one for my '09 is great. And they are made in Idaho.

PGBC; how about a center stand for the '09 & up (I think right up to '13 is still the same other than the plastics)
Or: the plastic bits are OEM only, so that's a market.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm starting my first year as an ME so excited. Do you want something small? Or something big? Try redesigning the air box with ram air vents and calculate efficiency. Or perhaps you could try to make an add on for the swing arm, something that would either lube the chain automatically (not a scotoiler) or maybe a mechanism incorporated onto the bike to help lift it on a stand. Like a kickstand that has a flip out pad that you could push down to raise the kickstand!!!!!! Depending on the terrain you are on! OMG!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Turbo

Old 06-27-2013, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

A few years ago I started playing with the design of a tool box, possibly fiberglass, occupying the space on the left side of the bike, toward the front of the engine. There's lots of room there, and a few decent mounting points. Please

Old 06-27-2013, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 center stand

Old 06-27-2013, 01:03 AM

Wow, thanks guys that was very fast! I like the idea of the centre stand and I am going to explore that a little further.

One of the ideas that I was kicking around was a re-design of the frame. I was thinking it would be nice to have a stronger lighter frame so it can withstand some bigger hits. One of the main reasons I went with the KLX in the first place was its low seat height. Otherwise, I hate to say it, I might have went with a KTM or something with a little more off-road prowess.

Rockabill: Congrats on your academic endeavour! I started my degree at 26 and have not looked back. It's the best decision I've made. The project does have to be fairly large as it is has to take up a full year (with a full course load of course).

Thanks again!

edit: just the saw the turbo idea, I'm going to look into that as well.

Last edited by PGBC; 06-27-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Recreate the "terrain tamer" fork mods once offered by Bruce at Bruces Suspension. I talked to Bruce once and he said it was a simple change which allowed 1 fork to do all the compression damping and the other fork to perform all the rebound damping. He claimed it was plusher than goldvalves but had better bottoming resistance.

I'll send you a set of stock forks to use as the testbed..... as long as I get them back as terrain tamers.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

BEET : NASSERT Oil cooler kit [0606-K38-00]

How about one of these for less $$$

+1 on ram air

Quick Reply: Engineering Project