IMS tank fitment issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default IMS tank fitment issues

I got myself an IMS 3 gallon tank for Christmas. Tried to get it on today but I can't get the front mounting bolt to line up. Looks like the frame rubbers are keeping it from coming down in the frame far enough to line up with the mounts. I was thinking about shaving them down a little. Has anybody else had fitment issues with an IMS tank.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Few people have the IMS tank, despite it's superiority. However, this issue seems to come up a bit for the Clarke tank. It seems that the tanks have minor irregularities that are corrected over time (eventually the plastic conforms to the frame). I've had my tank a while, and the left mount is troublesome to get placed.

Though, my Clarke tank does not sit even on the rubbers. It floats about 1/8" above them.

The frame mounts have a little plastic spacer the bolts run through, it can make it hard to find the bolt hole, this might be a bit of the problem. You can take this spacer out, and thread the bolt through it like a washer, then line things up as you screw.

Anyhow, do what you need to do. The Rubbers are definitely more important for a metal tank, but not completely without function. I'd try to cram that thing in there best I could, maybe with a friend helping, while trying to get the bolts in before removing things.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I had a similar problem installing mine. Here's a link with some suggestions I got.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ll-help-40583/

Old 01-18-2015, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the link. I found a thread early this morning about IMS fitment issues and it seems most have have to remove the frame spar rubbers. Which is what I had to do. Still had to do some fiddling to get it to line up. It will probably stretch and form fit some so hopefully will be easier get back on when I have to remove it. Now its on to getting my Seat Concepts cover on. Pulled off the old cover while watching Green Bay Sea Hawks game. Thanks everybody for the help and suggestions.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default IMS Fitment

Stuck mine on last night. I did have issues with the mounting bolts too. I could get the side bolts to line up, but not at the same time as the rear mount. I ended up shimming the rear mount bracket about an 1/8 inch to get the rear mount bolt lined up.

Otherwise it fit all right. The extra bolt locations, that require your shrouds to be drilled could not be used. The shrouds did not extend far enough to be attached there.

Oh, and the holes in the bottom where the primary and reserve fuel fittings attach had to be reamed out since the hole in the plastic behind the brass fittings were too small to accommodate the original fittings.

For $250 you'd think everything would fit perfectly. Plastic's cheap, so most costs must be in the manufacturing process..............or profit. I saw this morning at the Rural King farm store that you can buy a whole kayak, made of basically the same plastic, for $199! Not a bad looking kayak either.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I had similar issues with mine, especially with the plastic not reaching the two bolts under the seat/rear of the tank. I also had to finesse getting the top and bottom radiator fairing bolts to fit...the distance was a little long so I kind of stretched it. After many thousands of miles and lots of wrecks in the dirt it's still working great! At first I was annoyed I had spent a nice chunk of change on the IMS tank but now I love it! It's almost the best mod on this bike, besides making the carb run a little better.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I also had the side rubber mounts problem
but I was able to loosen them all up and got it on tight
hopefully this wont be putting stress on anything
instructions did not show this problem

and I also could not use the extra bolts for the plastics but they fit fine to me

and the little filters pressed into the hole pretty jagged but did not tear I checked
didnt think about reaming them out, kind of strange it didnt come that way

everything took tweaking to get all installed, but in the end its a very nice looking product
flows with the body lines very nicely

and I can really feel the extra weight when totally full
one thing I did not think about,as much time I have on this bike changes like that I can feel right away