IMS Question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default IMS Question...

So I've recently installed an IMS tank on my 12' KLS250S and I've experienced a loss of fuel after filling up. What happens is I'll stop and get gas, I'll fill the tank up to about the bottom of the fuel cap neck, very top of the tank but not in the threaded area for the cap, and after 2 or 3 minutes of riding the engine starts to choke then stalls. I remove the cap or vent line, shake the bike and it runs fine the rest of the tank. Also, if you notice it starts to cut out and pull the vent hose while riding it will clear out and run fine, I'll pop the hose on while riding and still, no other issues until I fill up again. It doesn't happen on every tank of gas but non the less its annoying.

The odd part is my buddy has a 12' S like mine, same exhaust, same jet kit, same air filter, everything, even same IMS tank. Never had any issues until the tank was installed. We went on a ride yesterday, 150ish miles, dirt, twisties and freeway. Bikes ran flawless. At the end of the ride which was about 3 or 4 hours into it, we stopped and got fuel, we shared the same pump and both put in 1.6 gallons, fired up, got down the road 5 minutes and both our bikes cut out at the same time and died. We both pulled our caps and breather hoses, cranked the bikes and got them fired out. Didn't happen to me again but he said it cut out twice on him but never stalled completely.

Kind of odd, FYI I did all the performance mods months ago and only recently installed the IMS tank when all this started happening.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

you are overfilling the tank..some of the gas is getting in to the vent hose...it's not venting properly...your evaporative emissions canister is probably flooded with gas (i assume you attached your ims vent hose to it like instructed in the manual)...

clear the vent line of any gas....pour out and dry out your evaporative emissions cansister....stop overfilling your gas to the brim...it should solve that problem....

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
So I've recently installed an IMS tank on my 12' KLS250S and I've experienced a loss of fuel after filling up. What happens is I'll stop and get gas, I'll fill the tank up to about the bottom of the fuel cap neck, very top of the tank but not in the threaded area for the cap, and after 2 or 3 minutes of riding the engine starts to choke then stalls. I remove the cap or vent line, shake the bike and it runs fine the rest of the tank. Also, if you notice it starts to cut out and pull the vent hose while riding it will clear out and run fine, I'll pop the hose on while riding and still, no other issues until I fill up again. It doesn't happen on every tank of gas but non the less its annoying.

The odd part is my buddy has a 12' S like mine, same exhaust, same jet kit, same air filter, everything, even same IMS tank. Never had any issues until the tank was installed. We went on a ride yesterday, 150ish miles, dirt, twisties and freeway. Bikes ran flawless. At the end of the ride which was about 3 or 4 hours into it, we stopped and got fuel, we shared the same pump and both put in 1.6 gallons, fired up, got down the road 5 minutes and both our bikes cut out at the same time and died. We both pulled our caps and breather hoses, cranked the bikes and got them fired out. Didn't happen to me again but he said it cut out twice on him but never stalled completely.

Kind of odd, FYI I did all the performance mods months ago and only recently installed the IMS tank when all this started happening.

Last edited by ahnh666; 03-17-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Like ahnh666 said, your putting too much gas in. I've done the same thing so I know. I'd fill it to the neck like the stock tank and 5-10 miles later the bike stalls out on me. Also bare in mind I'm using a locking gas cap that is not vented. But if I leave a little extra space I'm good to roll.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member

The locking cap is one way vented cap...vents in but not out

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Like ahnh666 said, your putting too much gas in. I've done the same thing so I know. I'd fill it to the neck like the stock tank and 5-10 miles later the bike stalls out on me. Also bare in mind I'm using a locking gas cap that is not vented. But if I leave a little extra space I'm good to roll.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Ya, I think for me the green vent piece under the cap was getting partially submerged in fuel when filled to the neck. So basically the same problem.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Pull the charcoal canister like was said, but leave it off (if you are willing to break CA laws), and make vent lines that go back behind the motor, but in front of the swingarm. If you ride off road and drop it, you'll fill the charcoal canister (again) and then have vapor lock again.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Damn Kalifornia B/S- my SV1000 is a cali. spec model. One day it wouldn't start, as in like it had a dead battery. Tried to bump it and no joy. Lifted the tank to get to the air box and discovered it was full of gas. Come to find out that the vent line for the vapor canister had broken inside the tank and was purging fuel into the works. Damn Kalifornia B/S...

Old 03-18-2014, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll go a little less on the fill up next time. I think my charcoal canister is ok for now. Nothing seemed wet or saturated from what I could tell.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

hi - i have a '12KLX250s as well and was thinking of doing a tank upgrade... the IMS one you have I assume is the 3.0g tank like this:

IMS Products : 09-13 Kawasaki KLX250S 3.0 gal Fuel Tank

did you have any problems with fitting the tank & stock shrouds? anything that required adjusting to get the tank on?

thanks in advance.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

the 2009+ klx250 were fitted with thicker rubber mounts underneath the gas tank...that should be flipped (if i remember correctly) to have the tank fit perfectly...if you don't, things don't align properly

Quick Reply: IMS Question...