IMS to consider tank for the 09 generation bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

hey so would that acerbis klx300 tank fit on a 2009 klx250sf has anybody tried this? i need more fuel haha

Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member

deano, click the link in my sig that says my bike and you can see my s with the acerbis tank. in other news, we finally have a mold being made (does happy dance)

Originally Posted by Nevergoback
So, got an email from Chuck at IMS and he sent me these two photos of the mold making process for our 2009 bikes:

He said the going was slow, tanks may be ready by June/July of this year...which probably means August/Sept. At least we know they are working on them and the project is not still on the drawing board. It would be so nice to get a 200 mile range on my SF...

Old 04-05-2011, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Combined with my Bill Blue Aux tank, this would give me over 250 miles range...that's getting out there pretty good!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Damn When I saw this post I thought "Six Months" was up!

This has to be the longest non sticky thread so far.

Last edited by maninthesea; 04-11-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Chuck has not forsaken us!! YAY!!!!

Old 04-11-2011, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey guys! Long time casual lurker, first time poster...

Anyway, I have been desperately wanting a bigger tank for my 09 KLX250sf. I am one of those crazy people who will take a 250 on longer trips (because of the epic gas mileage, for one thing). Also, I do intend to put a big bore kit in at some point, and when I do I'd like to be able to get more than 100 miles to the tank. LOL

I have been heavily considering the auxiliary tank you guys have mentioned, but also would want to have a larger main tank.

Big problem: Missouri requires annual motorcycle vehicle inspection and a plastic tank won't pass. Has to be metal and DOT approved. I can get away with that aux tank not being DOT by saying it's just for my offroad trips (making sure it's empty when I have the inspection done). But what about the main tank?

This is all based on my assumption that this will be a plastic tank.

Here's proof that I've toured with my quarter liter motard:

Old 04-11-2011, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Keep your steel tank and when you go in to have your inspection, make sure you switch tanks to thew steel one. Then when you get home, put the plastic one back on.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:09 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

laurie, I researched MO's registration and safety inspection regs, and I couldn't find any requirement for the fuel tank to be steel. I even read several threads from other MO riders answering this question in discussions, and they stated MO has no such requirement. If you have a link to a reg in the MO safety inspection, please post it up for info.

In fact I don't know any state that requires a steel tank, but I won't qualify that as a fact. I do know that there is a large urban myth about street legal motorcycles having to have steel tanks all the way from manufacturing level to the owner's safety inspection requirements. There are motor vehicles and motorcycles that are DOT legal in all 50 states that have plastic fuel tanks, so that right there tells you something.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Another tip: have your bike inspected at the dealer where you bought it.. I did they pulled me up in the computer.. I passed inspection with no smog stuff, tiny little powermadd mirrors, fmf full exhaust, and all the farkle.. they just said "bike looks good" and passed me.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmmm... So this a classic case of "*** u me." That's what I get. Well, I must admit I was taking my cue from Illinois (where I just moved from). Thankfully, though, Illinois doesn't have any inspections. Missouri does, and I just assumed they would have the same standards as Illinois. I was concerned.

But, I do have another question: Is there a solution where I could fit my locking gas cap on an aftermarket tank (plastic or not)? The issue: I don't live or work in the best area. The chances of someone either siphoning my gas, or putting something harmful into the tank are a possibility. Let me put it this way: A few years ago, my first bike was stolen right out of my driveway in broad daylight.

Thoughts?

**EDIT**

Oh, but I found a great deal on one of those B&B Moto auxiliary tanks on eBay. I snagged it last night. Still, though, I would like a bigger main tank. Basically, I want to have lots of gas. (lol)

Last edited by lauriejennifer; 04-11-2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: forgot to mention I will have more gas

Quick Reply: IMS to consider tank for the 09 generation bikes!