IMS to consider tank for the 09 generation bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up IMS to consider tank for the 09 generation bikes!

Just got off the phone with IMS and they may consider a tank for the new generation KLX. Before they commit they would like to know how many of us are seriously interested. Typically they need 40 or so riders to express an interest before they move forward.

If you are interested please post back or email me your email address. I would like to be able to provide them with a consolidated list of all our email addresses to get things moving. Also, if you know of other user groups please post this info there as well.

Keep your fingers crossed

Dave

Old 06-03-2010, 05:41 AM
1st Gear Member

I...... JUST........ SHAT......... MYSELF.

i think if it took more than 3-4 months from now, i would be the first person on that list. i hope its about 3.2 gallons maybe a bit more, uses stock shrouds, and it clear. i would be in heaven. reminds me, i need to email that dude from rocket exhuast again and see if hes ready to develop a pipe for us.

oh email, divisionskate9oh9@yahoo.com, i just made another email cus that one gets so much spam. might have to make one that says iwantaims3.2gal4myklx@plz.com

Old 06-03-2010, 06:32 AM
Default new here but i would buy one

i would pick up one if they fit properly
ok this is from a new guy who lurks to much lol

Old 06-03-2010, 06:54 AM
1st Gear Member

The cost of the mold is a big investment for the manufacturer. I'd bet it would take alot more than 40 affirmed purchasers for ims to even blink at the thought of putting out a 09 klx tank.

One dealership footed the investment cost for the fi huskys ims tank and iirc it was like 200 tanks to recoup the money spent.

I'll email ims to see what their reply will be....hoping for the best, but aiming low to avoid disappointment.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:18 AM
1st Gear Member

I would be interested for sure! Since I have a red bike that would be my first color choice but I can understand if the molder doesn't want to offer too many colors so my second choice would be white/opaque.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RaceGass
The cost of the mold is a big investment for the manufacturer. I'd bet it would take alot more than 40 affirmed purchasers for ims to even blink at the thought of putting out a 09 klx tank.

One dealership footed the investment cost for the fi huskys ims tank and iirc it was like 200 tanks to recoup the money spent.

I'll email ims to see what their reply will be....hoping for the best, but aiming low to avoid disappointment.
I spoke directly with Abel @ IMS and he stated that 40 to 50 people signed up is what they need to consider it. Chuck is the person @ IMS to followup with. I have already sent him an email regarding my conversation and am waiting to hear back.

If you would like to email Chuck directly his email is: chuckw@imsproducts.com

One thing for sure is this is a must have upgrade for this bike as the tank is just too small for any serious off-road rides. This bike is growing in popularity and the previous gen already has a following (tanks were made for it) so I think it is very reasonable for a mfg to consider making one for ours. They just need some reassurance that we are out there and willing to buy if the product is there and the price is reasonable (Able agreed completely).

So whatever it takes lets spread the word as hope they come through.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm in. I'll shoot an email to Chuck.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm definatley interested in a larger tank but I likely won't make the change till next year. I've just spent so much $$$ already on the green machine that anymore major projects need to wait until next year.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:17 PM
1st Gear Member

lol, I missed this one when I posted this morning. I email IMS about tanks and they said about the same thing. They need to know the interest is there. I'm all for a bigger tank I want to go more then 60 miles before hunting for a gas station. If you can't call them to express and interest, just shoot them and email

Last edited by bweekley; 06-03-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: wording
Old 06-03-2010, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bweekley
lol, I missed this one when I posted this morning. I email IMS about tanks and they said about the same thing. They need to know the interest is there. I'm all for a bigger tank I want to go more then 60 miles before hunting for a gas station. If you can't call them to express and interest, just shoot them and email
Agree 100%. Im hitting reserve at about 55 miles when woods riding. Also, the stock tank weighs a ton. If we could get a bit more capacity and lighter weight this bike would be great (granted mine is heavily modded). Increase capacity (from 2.0) to maybe 2.75 and you've got 75 miles range and perhaps less fully fueled weight.

D

Quick Reply: IMS to consider tank for the 09 generation bikes!