I'm baaaack...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

So why the 300 barrel and not a larger bore? Then the mcm is not needed at all, and the aftermarket cams should provide even more benefit

Old 08-18-2014, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm assuming I can get a 300 barrel for a lot less than a big bore, and I know how reliable it is. The MCM does a few things, essentially altering the opening and closing events of the valves. When I do the cams, I will be adding significantly to the duration, and advancing them while adding duration at the same time is a way of maintaining, or enhancing low end, while increasing mid and top end power. Essentially eating your cake and having it, too.

Because of the informative posts of KLXster, I may go ahead and do the MCM with the stock cams and displacement anyway. I'm skeptical, only because of the short duration of the KLX cams, but I've been manufacturing and selling advanced timing sprockets for Suzuki cars for almost 15 years now, and the +10 is my most popular, so I shouldn't be.

Does anybody here know anything about the 6sigma-racing jet kit? I got one with the bike, and will use the jets if they're suitable. Installed a new filter, and took the lid off this afternoon. The bike would hardly run off idle

While searching through my junk, I found my old KLX300 header, and home made tailpipe/Muzzy can that work together. I guess that will go in when I have time to do the jetting.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:29 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

zw, I'm not sure you can get a 300 kit for less than one of the aftermarket big bores...unless you're talking used...which, if in good shape, wouldn't be a problem.

Never heard of that jetting kit. Wasn't too impressed with the speed or ease of their site use, but that doesn't necessarily mean the kit won't work.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

The 300 has been known to be far more expensice just because of the "oem" ness of the parts.

The MCM mod as far as I know has only been applied to the stock cams for hp gain. I haven't read its usefulness with aftermarket cams, im interested if you could link a thread or post dealing witg the experiement thanks!!!

Old 08-18-2014, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt

The MCM mod as far as I know has only been applied to the stock cams for hp gain. I haven't read its usefulness with aftermarket cams

The MCM is nothing new. In fact, it's pretty standard procedure any time you build a performance, or even an economy based engine. Lobe center line used in conjunction with duration and lobe center angles is a effective way of either broadening the power curve or moving it where you really need it, depending on the application.

Yes, i'll be looking for a used 300 barrel. I'm all about the budget

Old 08-18-2014, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Knowledge!!! Thanks. You might as well look for all big bore kits used. I got my 351 "used" never installed with pumper for $450, $175 core with bill and sold tm34 for $250. $25 or so big bore kit aint too bad! Wish you luck!

Old 08-18-2014, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Matt, put that thing on a dyno.. Lets get an AFR chart - as well as HP n Trq.. You may have mo powa to find if the bike is lean...

Old 08-18-2014, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

There's a used 331 kit recently posted for sale. Only 20cc less and better cooling than the 351.

- It's in Asia though

Old 08-18-2014, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Hey Matt, put that thing on a dyno.. Lets get an AFR chart - as well as HP n Trq.. You may have mo powa to find if the bike is lean...
I know I need to, I was going to go with larger valves and a cleaned up head too, but then got to thinking about buying an xr650l...then now its back to keeping the klx as the sole machine in the garage (for daily riding anyway).

The problem is its my commuter, so taking off the head and waiting 3 days for turn around isn't an option . I gotta figure something out, 35hp would be nice

Old 08-22-2014, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member

It took a few solid hours of cleaning, but it turned out better than I expected

Name:  IMG_0392_zps996acbd1.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0393_zpse1aafebc.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  62.3 KB

How's this for perspective?

Name:  IMG_0394_zps971c1df8.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  70.0 KB

Pipe, DJ jet kit, wide pegs, and quick throttle all on order. Should start to see parts some time next week. What I had perceived as too stiff front suspension (apparently they DID stiffen it up in 09), got a lot better after I fixed the sag in the rear. He had it set at about 125-130 mm. It handles a lot better now.

Bonus find, I opened the box that the previous owner told me was the original chain, and it was a brand new Renthal gold O ring chain! Just need to source some sprockets now.

Last edited by zomby woof; 08-22-2014 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply: I'm baaaack...