I'm baaaack...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default I'm baaaack...

I know you all missed me so much

Well about a year and a half ago I sold my KLX, but I was too chicken to tell you guys about it
I wasn't riding it that much, and figured I'd sell a bunch of my current stuff, and just have a bike for motocross, and a separate one for hare scrambles.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but without being able to just hop on the KLX and do a few hours of woods after supper, or any other time I felt like it, my woods riding suffered, and well, I just missed the personality of the KLX.

So I started looking a few months ago for a replacement. Everybody either wanted big bucks, or the bikes looked rough. Except for one guy way up north. We were planning our summer camping and canoeing trip, so after texting back and forth with the guy over a few days, I thought I might be able to work a little detour into the plan. I took $2k out of the bank, hooked my trailer up, went camping last week, and came back with this...

Name:  IMG_0015_zps9b0be03e.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0014_zpsac385f70.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  48.9 KB

The guy figured I was serious, and went ahead and got a safety certificate after we set up the meeting. So with that, I went to the license office near where we were camping, and I'm on the road already!

Last edited by zomby woof; 08-17-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey ! welcome back !

Bike looks good, glad to hear your back in the KLX fold

Old 08-17-2014, 04:12 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

It's been nice and peaceful around here without the likes of your kind...and with dan888 missing in action. So...maybe it would be best if your kind just kind of moved along and got himself a nice little Honda CRF250L.

Hey, bud...good to hear from you again. What kind of mileage and such on the new-to-you ride? Any farkles? Looking at your trailer, it's kind of spooky. Not the bike. I have the same exact cooler and water jug as yours...and the trailer ain't far off either. I had to run out to the shop and check just to be sure. Can't trust those Canadians, you know.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad to see you are back.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:43 AM
1st Gear Member

From your perspective, I'm a newer member, but in researching our forum I have read many of your posts and would like to say how nice it is to have ya back.

There are some new ideas being worked on - an insert in the airbox to smooth air entry into the boot - and larger than DJ 132 main jets to properly fuel uncorked MCM stage 2 stock bores at sea level and near sea level. Check out my Dyno testing posts and please comment.

Laters..

Old 08-17-2014, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

The bike is pretty much stock. It looks like it was used predominantly as a street bike. Everybody up north has a quad for offroading and bush use. It has about 10,000 miles on it, and the only mods are bar risers and a set of Renthal fat bars in KX high bend. I'll have to do something about that. I like a low bar, and no riser. I guess the plan is to do what I always wanted to do with my other KLX, but never got around to it. 300 barrel, cams, and the other mods I have listed on the bottom. The suspension is probably all original and untouched, so I'll be going through that over the winter, as well as taking a few pounds off, while doing all the usual stuff. The street tires have to go. Nice on the road, but that's not what I bought it for. My favourite rear tire was a K270, and the Millville was great on the front, but they've become expensive, so I'm looking at my front tire options. Possibly a Motoz desert front.

Originally Posted by Klxster

There are some new ideas being worked on - an insert in the airbox to smooth air entry into the boot - and larger than DJ 132 main jets to properly fuel uncorked MCM stage 2 stock bores at sea level and near sea level. Check out my Dyno testing posts and please comment.
I've been hanging around the past month or so while I've been looking for one, and seen your, and other posts of interest. It's good work. Reading about the boot reminded me of what i did for my truck. I removed the stock 2" snorkel fromn the air box (seriously, a 2" snorkel with a 3" throttle body?) and replaced it with a 3" flared speaker port. Made a big difference. I'll have to have a look inside the KLX box when I'm there.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

nice work! I did the same thing... sold my 2010 SF for $3800 and quietly bought a 2009 S for $2000... Moar money for upgrades :P

Old 08-17-2014, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome back Zomby Woof.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome back!

Old 08-18-2014, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, I spent probably 2 hours cleaning the bike and another one going over it, and it looks like it's in better shape than I thought it was. I don't think it had been cleaned, at least properly, for the last couple of years.

Time to start the modding I guess. I spent some time reading through KLXster's posts, and will be going in that direction for now, except the MCM. I plan on doing a 300 barrel, and cams, so when I do that I'll buy back some of the lost low end with the MCM.

It seems that the 09 got stiffer fork springs. They feel a little stiff for me, but I'll have to get it out in the woods and see. The reduced seat height is welcome

Looking through the shop, I found a set of Trakmasters for front and back. Didn't like the rear, and nobody here likes the front, but they're new and were free (came with another bike last year) so I think I'll try them out.

Quick Reply: I'm baaaack...