If you have a pumper carburetor please chime in...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Default If you have a pumper carburetor please chime in...

I'm thinking about taking the leap and getting a pumper, but i'm curious as to what you guys have really gotten out of one. I'm not expecting it to turn into a race bike. All i know is my bike(bone stock) has everything i want in 1st gear on the trails, but as soon as I pull 2nd it dies. No throttle response and no performance until like 6-8000 the wheel won't come up. It's very tame. So my question is will the pumper combat this problem. I don't expect it to loop out on me, but i would love for it to carry the front wheel over problem areas rather than bulldoze into it and dam near kill me.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

A flat slide carb will deliver instantaneous torque. It will give you snap torque, turning it into a speed machine, it will not.
The torque you have is what you get, just faster. But on tight sections, it is a lot better than a CV carb.

Last edited by durielk; 10-13-2016 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

If you're gonna get a pumper, you should at least also get a slipon..

Slipon + MCM + Pumper + lidless has got to be a crazy wheelie machine.. But then some members are pulling engine-only wheelies in 1st with just a CVK lidless setup + slipon..

Old 10-13-2016, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Throttle response was the biggest difference. It made the bike much easier to run technical sections. If you want to be able to loft the front it's either a gearing change or more torque(re:more cc's)-the carb helps but not as much as either of these.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah, I plan to get a full exhaust. But right now i just want the power i have to be more usable. thanks for the info.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Before spending hundreds on a pumper setup, you outta maximize what you have..?
That's the Marcelino Cam Mod (free), 13 tooth primary, DJ kit (2206 or 2152). Those items outta cost less than $80 and you won't believe the increased power below 7K rpm..

Old 10-13-2016, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Maybe it's just me, but I noticed a huge difference with my pumper. I installed the 351 first with the stock carb and it was ok. Then I put in the 36-68 and HOLY ****!

The immediate snap on the throttle now really makes a difference on all terrain.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea, with the CV it will put out the speed, but it just don't have the snap that is sometimes required in close tight situations where you need it now... not after the engine spools up.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I did the pumper first, then 351 about a year later.

Pumper only differences:
1) Snap. With the CVK, you get power which gradually increases when you snap open. With the pumper, you get an instant snap of power. This actually makes city riding a bit tricky (think street car tracks, manhole covers, wet painted lines, etc...) So you need to learn to open the throttle gradually under some conditions.
2) Cold starts. It starts much easier when cold. 3 twists of the throttle, then magic button. Sometimes choke is needed.

Pumper + 351:
1) Powerslides!!! Snap that throttle on corners and power slide right up to 3rd gear! (maybe 4th too but that's a little too fast for me).

Old 10-18-2016, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by atleastbehandy
I did the pumper first, then 351 about a year later.

Pumper only differences:
1) Snap. With the CVK, you get power which gradually increases when you snap open. With the pumper, you get an instant snap of power. This actually makes city riding a bit tricky (think street car tracks, manhole covers, wet painted lines, etc...) So you need to learn to open the throttle gradually under some conditions.
2) Cold starts. It starts much easier when cold. 3 twists of the throttle, then magic button. Sometimes choke is needed.

Pumper + 351:
1) Powerslides!!! Snap that throttle on corners and power slide right up to 3rd gear! (maybe 4th too but that's a little too fast for me).
Exhaust in there somewhere or no?

Quick Reply: If you have a pumper carburetor please chime in...