Idle speed vs oil pump efficiency/oil pressure?

Old 03-25-2014, 06:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Idle speed vs oil pump efficiency/oil pressure?

Surfing around the net a few weeks ago I caught a comment regarding the XR200s that advised keeping the idle speed up rather than as low as you can to insure adequate oiling etc

Seems to make some sense

Last edited by Richard Avatar; 03-25-2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Since I now have intimate experience with the internal workings of this engine I'll throw in my $.02 The only parts in this engine that relied on pressure lubrication are the cams. The rest of the internals use roller or ball bearings that are splash lubricated from galleries in the shafts.
The oil pump only supplies 10-20 psi of pressure when the engine is up to speed but I can verify that it is capable of moving a large volume even at cranking speed. I added a .030" shim to the pressure relief valve to bump up the bypass setting and when I had the engine on the bench I primed the oil system and spun the engine over with the starter. I had the valve cover off and even at what I would estimate at ~200rpm the cam cap nozzles emitted a huge amount of oil. Based on that I think that as long as there is sufficient oil in the sump there isn't anything to be concerned about.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't think so. I suppose the only way to know is to turn engine by hand with the valve cover off. If you see oil (which you should) then it really doesn't matter because the engine will never idle as slow as you crank by hand.

Now the xr200s could just have a poorly designed oil system. I know the xr600, and 650l have also been known to have issues with low idle. That's why they get SUPER hot. They say if you are overheating in the summer to rev the engine to like 2k rpm and the oil flow is increased and it cools it down some even in 100 degree weather.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

After a lot of years selling and being around the shop at a Honda dealership, seeing the ATC200s and XR200s, plus the fact that the basic engine design was used in the 125s and such, I don't remember any issues of oiling problems. Fact is one guy we knew welded in his stripped oil drain and just upped the oil when needed on his beater ATC200, ran quite a while longer... who knows, it may still be going.

I'd say it's an old geezer's tale.

I wouldn't worry. Besides, who lets their bike idle for more than a few minutes at the most?

Old 03-26-2014, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Will vouch this information...everything is ball bearing inside the klx...bulletproof engine...

Originally Posted by GBAUTO
Since I now have intimate experience with the internal workings of this engine I'll throw in my $.02 The only parts in this engine that relied on pressure lubrication are the cams. The rest of the internals use roller or ball bearings that are splash lubricated from galleries in the shafts.
The oil pump only supplies 10-20 psi of pressure when the engine is up to speed but I can verify that it is capable of moving a large volume even at cranking speed. I added a .030" shim to the pressure relief valve to bump up the bypass setting and when I had the engine on the bench I primed the oil system and spun the engine over with the starter. I had the valve cover off and even at what I would estimate at ~200rpm the cam cap nozzles emitted a huge amount of oil. Based on that I think that as long as there is sufficient oil in the sump there isn't anything to be concerned about.