I need a new front brake disc after attempted theft

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 10:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default I need a new front brake disc after attempted theft

Well..my bike was attempted stolen again last night...3rd time in 12 months.

I woke up to the alarm bleeping an ran out and shouted at the thieves. They ran and drove away on a scooter. Unfortunatlety, they had broken my brake disc lock and bent the brake disc.

I wish I lived in the states. Then I would own a gun and those ****ers wouldnt have gotten the chance to flee the scene.

Now I need a new brake disc. Any suggestions here? OEM seems kinda expensive at approx. $120 here, but I dont want some cheap **** from China either.
I will use OEM if there is no other alternative, but I am open to suggestions.

best regards
Nikolaj

Last edited by Nikolaj Lykke; 06-11-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Not again!!

Why do they keep targeting you...

Old 06-11-2014, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't see which one you have, but if you have the dual sport model hit ebay in Europe. All the KLX300 rotors will fit and work too. They won't be petal cut, but won't be as expensive. They come slotted, drilled, or staggered slotting. My 09 has slotted 300 rotors both front and back.

Fact is that front hub was used on KLX650R KDX and KX series for several years, making those rotors a fit too. If the rotor and carrier are flat (no offset) with the proper bolt pattern diameter and rotor diameter it will work. Should make it relatively low cost to find one if you're willing to skip out on the trendy petal cut.

To verify with the seller measure your hub for the bolt pattern, your rotor diameter (240 I think is stock and is the size for most Kaw off road) and internal diameter to check with the seller and verify for fit.

KLX300

Fact is there is a rotor on ebay in the US for $20 plus shipping if anyone might be interested. Same bolt pattern. If you could get the guy to stick it in a flat rate priority envelope shipping would only be around $25, for a total of $45 usd. But I'm betting you can get one from another bike for less in Europe. Again, a very common hub for Kawasaki off roaders.

I actually bought another on ebay for $30 because that was really low. I figured I'd either help someone out with the rotor for the same price plus shipping (no help to you, you can probably buy one there for less) or hang on to it if I should damage mine.

Last edited by klx678; 06-11-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the advice. I will try and check those models on UK and German ebay.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member

ARMSTRONG MX OFF-ROAD FRONT SOLID WAVY BRAKE DISC KAWASAKI KLX 450 R 08-12 250MM | eBay

Would this fit? Looks good and price is decent. Half price of the stock unit. I looked at some reviews of the brand online and they seem positive. Says 250mm and bolt pattern looks right. (ive got the 250s btw)

Old 06-11-2014, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Also, should I replace brake pads along with the rotor? They are fairly new, probably did 4.000 kilometers.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member

If they are good, I'd use them again. Why not as long as they aren't damaged.

That sucks by the way. Any option for getting a big, heavy chain to lock it up making it more obvious the motorcycle won't be easy to steal.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Its already locked with a huge chain to a lamppost. There is disc brake locks on both wheels (one with an alarm, which woke me up)

They brought a huge *** mallet for the chain and a crowbar for the disc locks. I woke up when they were trying to get the alarm lock off...unfortunatley, they gauged the **** out of the brake disc in the process.

So now I have to buy a new lock and a new disc.

Here is a picture. You can see the chain, the mallet and a policeman in the background.

imgur: the simple image sharer

Anyway, anyone know if this will fit?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARMSTRONG-...d=648881813787

Last edited by Nikolaj Lykke; 06-12-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member

If you want to know if it fits ask three questions:
  1. What is the bolt pattern size? (measured across from hole centerline to hole centerline)
  2. What is the inside diameter inside edge to inside edge? (to fit to your hub size)
  3. What is the outside diameter?

Measure the same features on your old rotor and now you know.

Personal opinion, I don't know if the solid rotor is a good thing. They're less costly to make, so you would think if they functioned fine the factory would do them as a cost cutter over the floating disc rotors. Every high performance rotor (read as expensive) you see are floating discs. It is to allow the rotor to be slightly loose for movement due to heat. The solid rotors can warp and cup. I do realize most rear rotors are solid, but with the heavy use of the front brake the front is the vital one getting the most use and generating a lot of heat.

I would tend toward a decent used floating rotor. I would also think they could be had for a better price. If that seller with the $20 rotor would send to the UK even with shipping and VAT I doubt it would be as high as that rotor in price.

A few notes on your anti-theft methods.

On your chain set up - see if you can mount the chain higher on the pole and use as heavy a chain as you can. That is one of the tricks mentioned in some articles. Lock it up through the upper part of the wheels and frame if you can, again, up higher. The higher off the ground the harder it is for a thief to deal with it. To use bolt cutters they need leverage to break the chain. They can't use the ground and their weight to work the bolt cutters. That mallet would be a waste of time.

If you could make a serious steel pole with a ring welded on it, the whole thing hardened a bit with a torch and some oil or water, then sink it in the ground with some concrete in the bottom of the hole, you'd have a bit better an anti-theft set up. Sounds like you need it.

I see you're between two vehicles - get the bike out in the open if you can. Under a street light is better yet. That stairway in the background would be a good spot if allowed. Cover it up with an old cheap looking cover too. The worse the cover looks the better, makes it look like there's nothing worth storing under it. Makes me think of those guys with trailers that are painted up with Harley all over them - talk about inviting... "Look thieves! Expensive motorcycles inside for the taking!" Better if it had hand lettered Handyman/junk haulers on the side.

I hope some of this might come in handy in the future.

Last edited by klx678; 06-12-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Im not sure I realized there one disc was floating and the other was solid, nor that there was a difference between them

I also found this, slightly cheaper but shipping to Denmark isnt listed.

2011 KAWASAKI KLX250S KLX250 KLX 250 S SAF FRONT BRAKE DISC | eBay

Quick Reply: I need a new front brake disc after attempted theft