I messed up :( KLX250SF run till it died because of low oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Unhappy I messed up :( KLX250SF run till it died because of low oil

Hi all,

I would like to preface this request for help by saying that I know I'm an idiot, and that I should have known better, and that I messed up.

I picked up a KLX250SF that had the Bill Blue's Big Bore (351) kit installed, and I took it on a 1300 mile road trip in the span of 3 days. My average speed was between 60 - 85mph depending on where I was riding.

Throughout the entire trip I didn't check the oil at all... thinking that it was fine. I knew it had a very tiny oil leak (a few drops over a night), and thought nothing of it.

As I was riding at around 80mph the bike all of a sudden died, and I saw the oil light come on. I can't tell you what went through my head when I saw that, being someone who is aware of how important oil is for a motor... I felt like an idiot.

After the bike cooled down, the oil light went off, and I tried to restart it to limp over to a gas station and get some oil, but the starter didn't sound happy at all. I only tried once, and stopped after that.

Now here's what I'm wondering. What the hell did I do to this thing? I am not with the bike at the moment, it is being stored, and I will have full access to it around mid-october.

I have always wanted to rebuild a motor, and now I figure this is a better time than any to get my hands dirty, and fix my mistake.

I know that I'm going to want to change the seals and bearings when I break into the motor, but what other damage do you think this thing has gone through? With some searching I read a lot about the cam journals being the first to go. Do you think I will need to replace the big bore kit as well

Also, where is a good place to get the parts I would need to bring this baby back to life and run forever.

I'm looking to rebuild it with reliability in mind.

Thanks for reading!

Old 09-24-2015, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey don't beat yourself up. It happens. Your really going to need to disassemble it to know for sure ,but I would feel safe to say the top end including the head is no good. I think it would be a lot more cost effective to buy another engine used and install a new BB kit. Good luck

Old 09-24-2015, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey thanks man, I have been beating myself up over this for a while now. I'm embarrassed that I let this happen.

How much does a used motor go for? The closest thing I could find was one on Ebay for 1300, and even there they weren't talking about the state of the motor at all, which makes me wary to go that route.

I'd be perfectly fine with this option if it wasn't ridiculously expensive.

I think a new head + cams was looking to be around 1000, with all new bearings and gaskets prob 1200.

The work looks relatively straight forward, but I'll stay reserved until I actually crack it open.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

You many be better off parting the bike out and getting a new bike. You can find nice 2006-7 bikes on Craigslist now for a couple thousand. It was never an expensive bike to start with. The forks would go for something, as would the instruments and the wheels. My guess is parting it out you'd do well over $1000. It's wind up being a wash with putting the engine in or reworking yours.

It's a good opportunity to get something new if the KLX isn't to your tastes.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I love the KLX, especially the SF; I'm a big fan of supermotos. I guess I just wasn't used to a bike that peaks out at about 95mph, because my last 250 (CBR250R MC19) would cruise at that speed. Granted it never had the kind of torque that this thing put out, just different beasts.

All in all I think this was a real eye opener for me, and a lesson well learned.

You may be right in me just cutting my losses and getting another bike, but I'm really quite attached to this thing given what we've been through. Is there no reasonably economical way to rebuild these motors?

Old 09-24-2015, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by raideraid

You may be right in me just cutting my losses and getting another bike, but I'm really quite attached to this thing given what we've been through. Is there no reasonably economical way to rebuild these motors?
You can rebuild it. Start looking up prices. Any motor can be rebuilt for a cost. Since you ran it out of oil the whole motor is damaged in some way. I'd say ALL bearings cam crank rod piston rings cylinder transmission bearings. Pretty much the whole thing execpt the cases have a potential of being damaged.

I bought my 2006 a few weeks ago for 1700 bucks....

My buddy just rebuilt a 2014 rmz 250 top and bottom and it was 1200 dollars. Different animal in some ways but not in others.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

holy crap... $1300 for just the engine? i've been thinking of parting out my klx since i havent been able to sell it and was hoping to get ~$600 USD for the engine if i was lucky.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
holy crap... $1300 for just the engine? i've been thinking of parting out my klx since i havent been able to sell it and was hoping to get ~$600 USD for the engine if i was lucky.
Remember this in life. Asking and getting are two different things.

I could put my klx on craigslist for 10 grand doesn't mean I'm gonna get it.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't cheap out and fix it right, sounds like you really like the bike. Unless your engine ends up being totally smoked I'd just rebuild it. Check every damn nook and cranny for tolerances and wear even if they don't look damaged. To be honest I don't think getting a used engine is bad as long as you can verify the mileage or condition some how, or at least get some sort of buy back guarantee. Just remember, for most places that sell used stuff if it runs and doesn't make noise that's good enough for them. That doesn't mean it won't smoke, burn oil or shift funny so buy from a reputable place if possible. I know money is money but unless I'm saving at least a grand or more I wouldn't buy another bike. I hate the hassle of DMV, buyers, sellers and all that, but that's just me.

If you do a part out I'd be interested in the wheels and what not, just fyi.

Hope it works out, good luck!

Old 09-25-2015, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry about the bike. IF you decide to part it out, I'd be interested in the plastics if their green. Only need headlight cover and radiator shrouds.

Quick Reply: I messed up :( KLX250SF run till it died because of low oil