I Got My New Pipe!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I Got My New Pipe!

Hi all!
Here is my new pipe from Four Stroke Works. I ordered a DynoJet kit and have the KDX 200/220 snorkel. Siri tells me my living room is 2,881 ft. above sea level. You know, just in case I want to do some laps around my living room... I'd sure like some jetting suggestions. I'll drop as low as 1,000 ft. and no higher than 4,000.

Ordered a fat bar and grips, too. I've always had good luck using spray paint to put the grips on. Any thoughts about that method vs. glue. Any thoughts on using baling wire. My Gas Gas EC200 I bought used has baling wire on the grips. I must say I don't ever remember having a problem with grips spinning.

Thanks,
Freddy

Attached Thumbnails I Got My New Pipe!-p9100847.jpg   I Got My New Pipe!-p9100848.jpg   I Got My New Pipe!-p9100849.jpg  
Old 09-10-2016, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Running the KDX snorkel makes your bike a "Stage 1.5" ....
You are breathing better than stock but not as well as Stage 2 (lid without snorkel) ..

Point is, you can follow the instructions on the DJ kit for either stage 1 or 2 for your altitude.

If you want all the power your bike can make, that'll be running lidless with a much larger main jet..

Old 09-10-2016, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks KLXster. OK, we'll see how it goes, snorkel stays for sure as I've crossed creeks with water up to the bottom of the gas tank. Me needs my snorkel, hehe.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the bottom of the snorkel inlet gives you about 1/2 inch of elevation (protection) compared to lidless but you can verify this for us..

If you ever want to taste the big power, all you have to do is acquire and install a DJ140 or K152 main jet ( this is the corrected jet size for 3000 ft ASL), move the clip to 1N with both washers above the clip, pull the lid off the airbox, and hang on tight ! You'll have a roost monster.. lol

Last edited by Klxster; 09-10-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

A half inch may be the difference between pushing and riding.

Thing is that isn't the important factor for the snorkel. It is where any water that might splash in will go - behind and below center of the air filter. No lid or no snorkel can dump it right on top to be sucked in. Some riders need the extra benefit, some don't.

You can't roost a drown engine.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I am interested to know why you chose that pipe over offerings from FMF which seems to be the going thing around here. That's the first one of those I have ever seen. The color matched green muffler is interesting too.

How loud is it?

Old 09-11-2016, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks again KLXster! I really need a second KLX so I can gear down more on this one and have maybe a SF for lidless hehe- My brother (the smart one) is coming to visit and help me on the 30th. Depending on how it goes, I want to get it running halfway proper, then think about trying the MCM. The way I put put around anymore, I rarely really wind it out. I've ridden a really long time and ridden with some really good riders like Alderton and Mandeville, so I know my skills are mediocre at best. Doesn't mean I don't have a blast and feel like a teenager again!

Old 09-11-2016, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I'm not real smart, but hey what ya gonna do. I'll put it on at end of month, still waiting on dynojet kit. I don't know if I'm totally sold on the FMF "cold weld" process. I know it's most popular. I intended to get a Muzzy but I think they may have gone belly up. I know Rob Muzzy retired. Someone mentioned Stroker which was started by Larry Roeseller, a pretty famous off road racer back in the day, and they built his bikes. Their chief engineer Jerry owns and runs it now. He is nice old guy and it's kinda a Mom and Pop shop now, I think. They do sell a quiet insert for it. I think all it does is reduce the diameter out the back... It's regular old painted mild steel and an aluminum can.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

The latest Dyno tests indicate very large power gains from off idle to 8k with the stock header+slipon+lidless carb setup..(https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...klx250s-44229/) I assume the FSW header is larger Dia. piping than stock. If so, the FSW header will move the power curve higher in the RPM range with a "softening" of the power curve @ low - mid ranges. But it will allow strong TRQ to be made, starting somewhere in the midrange, all the way near redline.. I hope this is to your liking..?

One thing is for sure, MCM + stock header+ slipon+your choice of proper refueling to match your choice of airbox config, makes a TRQ monkey outta the KLX - off idle to 9k is supa-powah..

But don't worry, if yall fuel the bike well with that FSW on, you'll have more power, you'll be happy, and that's all that counts, right? Bro may not want to make the trip just to try out a new config on your bike every now and then...

Last edited by Klxster; 09-12-2016 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, this is my putt putt bike, just want to make it nicer, a tad weak stock. Sometimes I liken it to an old Yammie TT500. This is the heaviest bike I've owned. Key is that license plate. Hell my Gas Gas EC200 is probably 100 lbs lighter and makes more than 40 horses. That one has an FMF Gnarly or fatty expansion chamber Taxonomy, I'm not anti Flying Machine Factory or Donnie Emler. Just sayin'. Did I mention I'm old and have no ***** anymore? I've just ridden my whole life since I was a kid and not ready to quit just yet...