How often do you top off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default How often do you top off?

Any of you guys meticulous about checking your oil? What conditions do you ride in and what's your oil consumption like?

I change my oil and filter every few thousand miles, I know it's more often then Kawi says but it's cheap insurance. I mainly ride around town but buzz down the highway from 5-45 minute spurts. Sounds insane now that I think of it but I like to cruise with the flow which means pinning the bike at 8.5-9k rpms. It's been flawless for almost 6k miles but I do top off occasionally. No more than .25 of a quart in between oil/filter changes. That normal?

Old 05-13-2014, 11:37 AM
1st Gear Member

When I ride at high rpm for a while, I notice the catch bottle will have some oil in it. I assume it is from the oil being "vaporized" and collecting in the air box. It never really adds up to an amount that makes me top off, but I don't have it revving that hard for long. And if the oil is at least 1/2 way up the window, I call it good
I would say it's normal, just keep an eye on consumption to see if it increases.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Check oil level on a weekly basis, after accidentally blowing up a 125cc this is something I regularly do.
Owned the klx for around 3500 miles now and never had to top up the oil.
However she is booked in for servicing this weekend so I guess a new oil and filter will be going in.
I ride mainly around 50 miles a week commuting and possible an odd 50mile blast on a weekend, weather depending....

Old 05-13-2014, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I change my oil every ~2500-3500 km.

I never topped off my oil... I didnt think it was neccisary when I change oil so often.

I ride my bike HARD and I am often going WOT.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I blew my top end due to running low on usable oil.

Now i check my oil after every other ride, and do oil changes every 400 miles.

I've never had to top off my oil. I'd say losing a little between the larger frequency of your oil changes may be normal, I would keep an eye on it though.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I've never had to add oil in the last 5500 miles I've had the KLX. Zero consumption. I often spend time (5 minute sections) on the freeway at 60 mph and ride a four hour enduro which must be harder on the engine.

With such a small sump of oil, I am happy that the KLX doesn't consume oil. Now gasoline.... it's a gas hog.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I haven't experienced anything concerning but I'm a stickler on maintenance. I regularly ride my bike hard and once a week or so I pin it wot from San Francisco to San Jose after a ride in the mountains. That's about 45 minutes of rolling hills at wot in 6th to get home. Honestly the little 250 impresses me.

I'm planning to do some longer distance "minimalist touring" this summer and oil consumption was on my mind.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Highbeam-Your tires are getting some good use but after this weekend I might need a new set before I hit dirt again. My last trip to the desert cleaned them nicely!

Old 05-14-2014, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Cool, I'm glad they're getting used.

I'm loving the shinko trials tire. Raced my last enduro with it and it's a different experience having a tire designed to stick vs. one designed to dig. Much smoother on the freeway too.

Now I've got a leaky fork seal.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll see how beat and used up my tires get this weekend. I was at a local parts shop last night and they have good pricing for the Shinko 700 tires. Looks like the factory sizes are available too and they come with free mounting and balancing as well. I might run those bad boys for my next set. Its those or the other Shinkos, 244? Or look like the Kenda 244...I'm sure you guys have seen them. Super inexpensive also.

Any one use something different then factory Kawi oil? Thats all I've been using, no complaints but I'm open to options.

Quick Reply: How often do you top off?