How to: KCA removal on 09 KLX250S-California model

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

So I got the smog stuff but I have a couple of questions.

1. Regarding the two lines that go from the small canister to the gas tank. I just put caps on the ports on the gas tank. Is that OK or do I need to run hoses from those two ports down the back of the bike?

2. At first my idol seemed to be a little low, 1000 rpm. It even died when I gave it a little twist of the throttle. Granted it wasn't completely warmed up yet. I took it for a 5 minute ride and it seemed to respond fine to the throttle and didn't die at idol. The idol also improved to around 1200 rpm which is about where it was to start with. After removing the smog crap should the bike run the same or should I expect to adjust the idol?

Old 05-06-2012, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
So I got the smog stuff but I have a couple of questions.

1. Regarding the two lines that go from the small canister to the gas tank. I just put caps on the ports on the gas tank. Is that OK or do I need to run hoses from those two ports down the back of the bike?

2. At first my idol seemed to be a little low, 1000 rpm. It even died when I gave it a little twist of the throttle. Granted it wasn't completely warmed up yet. I took it for a 5 minute ride and it seemed to respond fine to the throttle and didn't die at idol. The idol also improved to around 1200 rpm which is about where it was to start with. After removing the smog crap should the bike run the same or should I expect to adjust the idol?
Cap the front-most one but run 8" lines (or longer) from the other two downward. If you cap both, you'll find the bike will quit on you soon after starting to ride because it can't get any fuel. The cure for this is to open the gas cap until you get it figured out.

BTW since you're in Sac, we should meet up sometime for a ride. Once the snow melts a bit more, I'm going to ride up and do a loop around Jackson Meadows and Bowman Reservoir. Nothing real fancy, but should be fun.

Rob

Old 05-06-2012, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Rob,

I've seen you on the ADV forums too. Are you in Reno? Have you checked out the Sacramento Dual Purpose forums on there too? Sacramento Riders Thread DS & ADV - ADVrider

As for the gas tank I'm still a little confused. There are 4 outlets on the tank. 1 to the petcock, 1 with a hose down the back of the bike and the 2 (red and Blue) that went to the small canister. On the original instructions I was unclear if I was suppose to run hoses from the red and blue ports down the bike too. If so, that would be three overfill hoses. Can you or someone else explain what the red and blue outlets do? I'll try and pick up a hose today to correct it but would like to know first.

Thanks,
Brien

Old 05-06-2012, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Hey Rob,

I've seen you on the ADV forums too. Are you in Reno? Have you checked out the Sacramento Dual Purpose forums on there too? Sacramento Riders Thread DS & ADV - ADVrider

As for the gas tank I'm still a little confused. There are 4 outlets on the tank. 1 to the petcock, 1 with a hose down the back of the bike and the 2 (red and Blue) that went to the small canister. On the original instructions I was unclear if I was suppose to run hoses from the red and blue ports down the bike too. If so, that would be three overfill hoses. Can you or someone else explain what the red and blue outlets do? I'll try and pick up a hose today to correct it but would like to know first.

Thanks,
Brien

Sorry!! I was doing that from memory. I just went and looked at my old tank. Starting at the one that goes to the petcock... the next two down get vented, and the blue one (the last one) is capped. At least that's how it worked on mine.

Yeah I'm Rob.G on ADV. I'll check out your thread. I just started a Google Group for Northern Nevada ADVers too.

Rob

Old 05-06-2012, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, that helps. I'm going to put the short hose (on red) that went to the small canister back on until I can get a longer one.

Send me the link to the Google group and I'll add it.

Thanks,
Brien

Old 05-23-2012, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm in placerville! About to meet up with a friend above Sonora for some gold hunting. About to rejet the 250 and take it for it's first ride since I bought it last summer!

Old 06-05-2012, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

well...doing this mod will also reduce the time to do valve check/adjust....i wish i had something to plug everything when i was doing the valve check/adjust...i took most of this stuff out to get to the valve cover...and, had to put it all back again after i was done...doing this "mod" when you are doing your valve check would be the best time to do it...

Old 04-17-2013, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpaul310
Make 2 vent hoses for the fuel tank red and blue vents. There should already a hose for one of the vents so you only need to cut 2 hoses.

Run the vent lines to the rear shock...

After doing this mod, be aware that when you overfill your tank, you will see fuel dripping from one of the hoses. This mod made it easier to pull the fuel tank off.
Do I need to run vent hoses for the IMS tank? Anyone have any pictures?

Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

No provisions for the oem over flow hoses on the ims products 3.0 tank. Gas cap vent is the only one.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
No provisions for the oem over flow hoses on the ims products 3.0 tank. Gas cap vent is the only one.
So get a longer hose for the vent cap? Can I run it along the front frame and down or does it need to go to the back?

Quick Reply: How to: KCA removal on 09 KLX250S-California model