how crashable is klx250?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 10:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default how crashable is klx250?

as I'm certainly going to crash it off-road a lot
how this bike is resistant to damages while dropped ?
I've seen broken flashers after very light drop on youtube.
Is it that fragile when pushed around?
thanks

Old 05-10-2015, 10:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I've crashed many times on mine. The only real damage has been the weak stock bars bend easily. I replaced them with aftermarket bars and have crashed with the news ones and they are fine.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:43 AM
1st Gear Member

is there original skid plate for that bike doesn't need it? I understand it doesn't come with any. even honda crf comes with plastic one.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member

With a skid plate and hand guards the bike is pretty tough.
Turn signals don't count on the toughness scale.
Removing at least the right side mirror when going off-road isn't a bad idea. It screws into the side of the master cylinder, and if broken off, it could crack the m/c. Big could, it hasn't happened yet...I like folding mirrors for this reason.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Like Rock Hugger said, it doesn't take much of a crash to bend the stock bars.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:57 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

With skid plate, aftermarket bars, highway dirt bike hand guards, and cycle rack my bike is a tank. The faster I go, the more I crash.

While you are beefing up your bike, step up your riding gear too. Boots, armor suit, and knee guards keep me protected.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Dude I suck off road, my M.O. is wiping out. I've bent up my hand guards and had to fix them with a vice many times. I've been over the bars 3 times, jumped the bike many times, wiped out and ripped off the chain guard and fork guard. Not to mention the 50+ times I've dropped the bike when my footing is poor. I've also done many steep climbs, wiped out and slid back down. So far the only thing I've actually broken was the ball on the clutch lever...it bent riding and I broke it at home trying to bend it back. After 12k miles of riding I'd have to say this bike is friggn solid!

Old 05-10-2015, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

For some reason I haven't bent the bars yet!

Old 05-10-2015, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
Dude I suck off road, my M.O. is wiping out. I've bent up my hand guards and had to fix them with a vice many times. I've been over the bars 3 times, jumped the bike many times, wiped out and ripped off the chain guard and fork guard. Not to mention the 50+ times I've dropped the bike when my footing is poor. I've also done many steep climbs, wiped out and slid back down. So far the only thing I've actually broken was the ball on the clutch lever...it bent riding and I broke it at home trying to bend it back. After 12k miles of riding I'd have to say this bike is friggn solid!
very encouraging, that's what I bike like this for
thanks

Old 05-11-2015, 06:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Check out my youtube channel to see some of the carnage I've put my KLX's through https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRP..._5aOpENSdCW0iQ . I have a 2011 and a 2009 (that I let my friend ride) and they have been beaten on. I have handguards and skidplates on both. Lots of drops, a few backflips going up steep rocks.

Quick Reply: how crashable is klx250?