how to clamp cr style brake line.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default how to clamp cr style brake line.

As the title says, I am looking to mount my cr wrap style brake line on my 07. I have guards from the kx125/250's. the problem is how to keep the brake line in place so it cant contact the wheel/brake rotor...

I tried eliminating the sliders at the top of the forks, but the flimsy guards are rubbing the forks. Can't mount to the sliders because they move to much.

How has anybody else mounted/ routed there cr wrap lines??

Old 08-02-2016, 01:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Can't be routed in a few of the original hose guides on the slider protector? Maybe zip tie the cable in as needed.

A KLX rider posted this in Thumper talk:

I used a CR type line made for a KX that is shorter than the stock line. I routed it down to the guide on the lower triple clamp first and eliminated the guide on the upper triple clamp. This has worked perfect with no problems. I actually prefer it to a longer line and original routing. I think someone on the Kawasaki forums said with the 250S front dash my routing may not work. I have a 300 with a Baja Designs dual sport kit.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

The kx guards don't have the slots in them, they are smooth. It's a shame the old guards don't mount like the 09+ does

Old 08-02-2016, 07:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, you can quite easily mount the hoses with zip ties. figure out where you want to route it, then put two holes in relatively close together or if it can run right on the edge, one hole.

I recommend you melt the holes with a hot nail or drill bit on the blank chuck end. The reason is melting will not leave any scrapes or nicks that might cause stress risers to crack the slider. Use the really small zip ties, they're like 1/4" wide, no big holes and very neat.

I did my speedo wiring on my 09 that way, Kaw had it dangling out in the breeze to be caught on something.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

The old klx250s have sliders attached to the forks. They run up and down as the suspension works. If you attached anything to the guards, it would be sheared off as the suspension collapsed.

The 09 bikes have normal fork guards the stand by themselves and don't need the silly sliders, so you can mount things like your picture shows.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt88-8
The old klx250s have sliders attached to the forks. They run up and down as the suspension works. If you attached anything to the guards, it would be sheared off as the suspension collapsed.

The 09 bikes have normal fork guards the stand by themselves and don't need the silly sliders, so you can mount things like your picture shows.
Are you running stock forks? If so, I have the 09, but I have a 95 KLX650 that runs the same forks as the KLX250 and 300s of the 90s. Same fork protectors with the sliders. If I ran the CR wrap I would run the hose in the stock location, part way down, then rout it out and around the inside of the leg. If there is a clearance issue you can try the following I found at the KLX650 group:

KX250 1996 fork protectors ufo (also Acerbis, mk) with some mods will fit KLX650R 1997 model. see my file uploaded
for the mods you just need a drill and a dremel(= dutch name) with a cutting disc
Dirk
Belgium

I just fitted 95 kx500 fork guards to mine with very little modification. Also, mine is MX style but the 14 kx450/250 front fender was a direct bolt on.
(another 650 rider)

So there are some other possibilities.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I have the modified fork guards they are talking about mounted to my stock forks.
I have the line mounted to the guards at the moment. It works, but only if I leave the sliders off. But,if i do that the guard rubs the fork tube. I will try to make up a spacer or a bracket so I can just run without the sliders.

I wonder if the wire holder for the brake line, the one that mounts off the caliper on the 09+ would fit the 07..

Old 08-27-2016, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up finally, a fix.

For the sake of anyone who runs across this:

I ended up removing the "loops" of the fork sliders, so all that is left is the plastic ring that goes around the fork tubes. I cut the brake line clamp mount off of a set of old fork guards i had for a different bike lying around, then jb weld'd it in place and riveted the piece in so it cannot come loose. I bought a zeta brake line clamp, and attached it to the mount.

Now i can use my stainless steel brake line and the kx125/250/500 fork guards together without worrying that the wheel will remove the brake line.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Name:  20160827_180927%201_zpsi6nma6m7.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  216.7 KB

Old 08-28-2016, 02:31 PM
1st Gear Member

My stainless brake line is all twisted and flimzy, and looks like crap. So I'm looking for a plastic sheath to go over the hose to stiffen it and make it straight. I haven't found anything yet. Any ideas as to what I can use? Looking for stiff (not to stiff) plastic hose that I can cut a slot in, place it over the brake line, then hold it on with some tape or zip-ties.

Quick Reply: how to clamp cr style brake line.