High Flow Snorkel Direction?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default High Flow Snorkel Direction?

Hey guys I was just surfing to see if I could find the post about running dual snorkels when I stumbled upon a post (early one at that) referencing the KDX200 snorkel (which I have) and it said to point it toward the rear of the bike. I have mine facing the front. Is there any reason for aiming it toward the rear? I forgot what the seat pan looks like so I don't know if something might be blocking the snorkel or squishing it but the seat didn't require any extra effort to put on last time.

BTW, anyone have a link to the dual snorkel writeup?

Old 08-02-2006, 01:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: High Flow Snorkel Direction?

Here is a link to the pictures that I posted with my dual setup.https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_45627/tm.htm go down to post # 13, 14, & 15.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:08 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Does that setup seem to work OK for you vfrpilot? That looks like a good idea to me. To extend that a bit, what about getting a second hi-flo KDX200 snorkel and use it in place of the stock one in your dual snorkel setup? Do you think that would be worth the extra expense?

Old 08-02-2006, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Just took a ride with the snorkel out while waiting for a reply on the snorkel direction and with the mods listed below I get some noticeable popping on decel, if I coast down from anything over 6K. I ran third gear up to around 8K and was coasting down to a stop at the end of a dirt road and it let out a crack like a gunshot! I'm wondering if the smog crap has anything to do with the popping as its whole purpose is to burn the unburnt fuel correct? Or is it that I'm 2 turns on the air screw but letting even more air in? With the snorkel on it runs better than stock but seems to be too rich as it doesn't want to pull through the upper rpms very quickly as compared with either the airbox lid off or no snorkel, yet when I go that far with airflow in I get decel popping. Uncapping the exhaust from a 3/4" to a 1.3" outlet doesn't do anything as far as acceleration or top end pull, its just a lot louder. I've only uncapped the exhaust while running the high flow snorkel.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I was talking to a buddy of mine who is a gear head/car guy (rebuilding an 84 Buick Turbo Regal 3.8 liter turbo v-6) and described the backfiring situation to him and a few minutes later he sent me this link: http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/BackfiringFAQ.htm . After reading through it sounds like with the added air flow in my air screw is a tad lean and the smog crap isn't helping anything.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Does that setup seem to work OK for you vfrpilot? That looks like a good idea to me. To extend that a bit, what about getting a second hi-flo KDX200 snorkel and use it in place of the stock one in your dual snorkel setup? Do you think that would be worth the extra expense?
Nobrakes,
It's seems to be working great. I don't really think that getting a second hi-flo snorkel would help a whole lot mainly because where I have the stock snorkle going in at, it's cut off right at the air box top and is actually only about 1/4" away from the air filter. I feel like the only real purpose for the snorkle there is to deflect the intake noise. However a larger opening does mean more air, so it might help some.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:13 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Vfrpilot - I just did your dual snorkel mod tonight and it works great. Thanks for the idea!