Helmet Opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I've used the THH TX-27 for a couple years now. (The FX41 is a rebranded TX-27) I mostly like like. It has had plenty of abuse and is still working. It's comfortable enough and really nice to have the free built-in sunglasses. There's a little ornamental plastic piece on the peak that wants to fall off from time to time. The helmet doesn't do much to silence the wind at higher speeds but I'm fine with it. The peak has enough space to fit a smaller action can under it if needed. I've put a Contour Roam and a GoPro Session there (not at the same time) with no problems. I'd recommend it for a good value helmet. You get a lot for that small price tag. Though I paid about $100 for mine. (Made in Taiwan...living in Taiwan) so lucky me!

With that said, I'm going to buy a different helmet next time around. I wanna jump up to the next price bracket or two to see what those helmets are like.

Last edited by outrecording; 07-22-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I used an AFX FX37 for years...wore it out. For the last year I've used the FX39 and like it more than my old 37. I've been leery of the dual shield deal on that other helmet. I just wear sunglasses, and these AFX helmets will easily allow you to use sunglasses or prescription glasses as long as the rear end of the ear pieces aren't stupid long.
It has surprised me how well I like the tinted second shield. There are lighting conditions where I prefer it over sunglasses (clip ons for me, onto the RX frames), especially when going in and out of dark shade (in the trees, for example) to sun, and when the sun is low on the horizon. I've also used it with the main shield up to get more air flow.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Key point for OP... fit! One other note, either get used to the noise or get ear plugs. With the open venting and big face opening with rather complex curve shields the sealing is not so great, even on the best. They are noisy. But it's worth it for the big eye port and the good air flow when hot out.

The AFX/Fly/THH is fairly available in the US due to low price pobably making it a good seller at shops. Another that may or may not have a dual sport helmet is the Vega.

These are good polycarbonate helmets (aka plastic) and if the manufacturer desires, they can pass Snell testing. They are good safe helmets. Really nice part is if you ever are unfortunate enough to really test one hard, it's a lot easier to toss a $100-200 helmet in the trash than it is a $400-600 lid.

Everyone always brings up that incredibly successful advertising campaign about "$10 head buy a $10 helmet" by Bell helmets. Interesting behind the scenes situation - Bell was making the Bell Star top line helmet for around $200-300 back then competing with Shoei and Arai, but simultaneously, with that campaign running, they were manufacturing the Vetter polycarbonate helmets. The Vetters were dead ringers for Bell Stars and were the least expensive helmets we sold at $49! So much for advertising hype. But by then we already knew the polycarbonates were safe. They just weren't as nice in the liner material, graphics, and other cosmetics. But now some of the lower priced ones are darn nice.

So if you find a good fit, go with it. Not everyone has good fit with any one helmet. One good reason to go to a dealer. If you do so, look on line first to get what the on line pricing is - including shipping if not free - then give the dealer a shot to sell you that helmet at that price. Don't go in, size yourself, take up their time in helping, then walk out and buy from some faceless place. I have bought all my helmets at dealerships. Bought the last one at the Iron Pony store, but that's still on site.

I spread my spending, both in store and on line. I may and have needed that dealer so I include my support paltry as it may be.

Last edited by klx678; 07-23-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Question for anyone along this topic.

Are any of you able to run goggles with the shield on, flipped up with your dual sport helmet? If so, what brand?

Don't care about running sunglasses or that the shields are removable, only want to know if both can be used at the same time on any helmets.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I wear goggles under my Fly in cooler temps or rain.
Visor can be up or down.
I also use Fly goggles, not sure all goggles would fit in the opening.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:04 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

The AFX 39 allows the use of goggles. However, I've found over time with my AFX 37 that I don't need goggles with these helmets. The shield does a great job when you have to come up behind and pass another vehicle on 2-track, dirt road, or trail. When I raced enduros, you obviously have to use goggles because you don't have the luxury of keeping a gap between you and the overtaken rider's dust...he ain't just letting you pass like another recreational rider, ATV, or whatever. Even riding with other riders these days, we just gap each other. With goggles you're still breathing volumes of dust if you're trying to stick on someone's wheel, and it's not doing your air filter any good. To each his own, but I don't use or need goggles anymore with these helmets, and I ride tons off road. When things slow down, I just flip the shield up.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Werloc what brand of goggles are you using that fit over your glasses. I've been using Scott OTG and they do have a lot of depth (restrict side vision) to them. Oakley O model is supposed to be an OTG style but they don't say that on the box anywhere.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klxnoobie
Werloc what brand of goggles are you using that fit over your glasses. I've been using Scott OTG and they do have a lot of depth (restrict side vision) to them. Oakley O model is supposed to be an OTG style but they don't say that on the box anywhere.
Sorry for butting in, but I also use over the glasses goggles and know a bit about it. I use the Oakleys, but they aren't O Frame, they are L Frame. You want Oakley L Frame. I have the fake carbon fiber ones, worn them for the past 15 years now. Side view restriction is so unnoticeable it isn't even a consideration. If you're anything like me, you're looking around and in mirrors enough to make it a non-issue.

I think when I tried on goggles way back around 2000, the Scott 89 OTD goggles were very close, but maybe just a shade less clearance on my glasses when compared to the Oakley L frame goggles. But again I don't remember for sure, I was originally looking at the Scotts, but the Oakley fake carbon fiber was a fun tweek on the "one upsmanship" and we didn't have any red 89 OTGs in stock, so the CF L Frames won out. You know, exaggerated bragging, etc around the buddies, red wasn't as cool as the fake carbon fiber... gotta be cool.

The Oakleys were slightly less cost than the Scotts, but only a few dollars so another non-issue. My Oakleys were $40.99 and the Scotts were like $46.99 a year ago. I was familiar with the Oakleys and had a pack of tear offs so I didn't try the Scotts. Besides they still did fake CF.

As said, I use the Oakley tear offs to save the lense. I only ran 2 lenses over the 13 years the first pair lasted. The foam actually went first. I'd cut the pull tab off the tear off and hook it on the pegs that come with the goggles. Collects the bugs and crap, then either wash it off or throw it away. Like $6.95 for 10 tear offs or something like that. Recommended for either brand of goggles.

Last edited by klx678; 07-25-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klxnoobie
I tried just about all the OTG goggles out there, either test fit in local shops, and ended up returning the ones I bought online. Did Not like the extra depth and tunnel vision they had. All they are is thicker foam making them stick out from your face more. Then to find out after all that, that regular goggles fit over my glasses just fine. I use the cheaper Answer goggles, $20 bucks a pair, and I also have a few pairs of old Scott goggles (which are exactly the same as the Answer) I still have from the 80's when I was racing. I think I have 4 pairs left and a box of new lens's and tearoffs. Scott USA was one of my sponsors back then, and had about 20 or so goggles with a few cases of lens and tearoffs. But I lost most everything I owned during the Hurricane Irene flood. What survived was what was in current use at the time cuz it was with my helmets on the top of a book case that was upstairs.

These are the straps I use on all my goggles. I can put my goggles on over my glasses with one hand while moving/riding. Makes life much easier.... Plus the elastic is shot on my older goggles.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/131349223943

Old 07-25-2016, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Used the Roko quick snaps with my old helmet and goggles, a nice set up.

Quick Reply: Helmet Opinions!