Helmet Opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 06:27 PM
Default Helmet Opinions!

Just bought my first bike, a 2012 KLX 250S. I'm shopping around for a helmet and was hoping to get some opinions on good brands/styles.

I'm mostly looking at the Dual Sport section on revzilla.com:

1) I absolutely love the look of the AFX FX-41, because who wouldn't want to be Mast Chief, right? But the reviews are questionable. Has anyone owned one and had a good/bad experience?

2) The LS2 Pioneer and AFX FX-39 both seem to be pretty evenly matched in terms of reviews and price, is there a better comparison I can make?

3) Are there other options I'm missing out on?

My use is mostly fields/dirt road riding mixed with some road but no highway use, and occasional trail use, so I want something rather versatile.

Thank you!

Old 07-21-2016, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

there is also the well known icon variant

Old 07-21-2016, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I used the FX-39 for a few years, then got the FX-41. I'm happy with it for what it is, and that's a decent dual sport helmet for a good price. Some shields rub on two little nubs of the visor, scratching the shield over time. It takes a while. Mine did it and I picked up a new visor and cut the interfering parts off. I like the inner dark shield.

Tosha, the most important elements of a helmet IMO are that 1) it's DOT and/or SNELL, and 2) it FITS your head. If it doesn't fit, it's not a good helmet.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I used an AFX FX-39 for a few years. Nice helmet for the price. I still use it from time to time, mostly in very cold weather due to full face shield. I now have a Fox V2 MX helmet cuz I prefer goggles over a shield in warm or hot weather. More air on my face. It all depends on what style helmet you want. I have a bunch of helmets that I use for different purposes.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:49 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I used an AFX FX37 for years...wore it out. For the last year I've used the FX39 and like it more than my old 37. I've been leery of the dual shield deal on that other helmet. I just wear sunglasses, and these AFX helmets will easily allow you to use sunglasses or prescription glasses as long as the rear end of the ear pieces aren't stupid long.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I agree. I wear RX glasses and they fit well in my FX39. I guess mine are small cuz I never had fitting issues on any helmet really with my glasses.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Werloc does the cigar fit to I've worn the Shoei version of dual sport helmet for years. Its a very comfortable and quite helmet. I also have Shoei mx helmet and goggles. If you wear perscription glasses then most likely you'll have to use OTG (over the glasses goggles). They have a little more depth so they will fit over your glasses which also limits your perifpheal vision a little. It's not a big deal to me just have to turn my head to side a little more to check for traffic. I've looked at AFX and LS2 helmets they seem to be well made and I think snell rated both fit my melon pretty good. Next time I'm in the market for replacement helmet I might take closer look.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Na, cigars are my post ride enjoyment, which I haven't had in a very long time come to think of it......lol I don't like or use OTG goggles for the exact reasons you said. They suck. I have many different goggles from over the years that I use. I do use the Quick Straps with all of them, never the stock straps that come with the goggles. Like I said, my glasses must be small. No issues with any helmet or normal goggle.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:53 AM
1st Gear Member

When I went to the cycle center, I was amazed at how different every helmet fit on my head. Even within one brand they are way different, in one style i need one size and in another style I need another size.
So if you really want a good fit on your head, you need to go to the store and by one, not online.
I prefer helmets with a face bar or modular, dirt/highway. I used to ride with open face, but I have decided that type of helmet is no longer acceptable for my riding style. To many rocks!

Last edited by durielk; 07-22-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Buy whatever fits best. The Icon got mediocre reviews because of the shield. It's more a "style" helmet than a dual sport. Bell's new helmet is darn nice for under $200! I'd have one.

I have a Joe Rocket (HJC in Europe), but don't recommend it. The strap location is bad, it allows the helmet to rock back on my head. Otherwise a nice helmet, but that's a deal breaker to me.

If I was buying now it would either be the Bell (#1 choice) or the AFX, which is also same as the Fly. If price wasn't a concern, probably the Arai. My head shape doesn't work with the Shoei.

Quick Reply: Helmet Opinions!