Group Buy - Radiator guards from "brian@unabiker.com"

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Group Buy - Radiator guards from "brian@unibiker.com"

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

Today I mounted the right radiator guard. The radiator shroud was a real PIA. The stiffining ribs hit the Unabiker brace so, the whole shroud is warped when you bolt it back on the motorcycle. Moordan mentioned drilling a new hole in the lower raditor shroud brace connection which makes sense now because of the warpage.

Has anyone trimmed the plastic stiffiner that hits the Unabiker brace?

Has anyone found the solution to the clutch cable rubbing the front fender?
Since I modded the radiator flange and drilled a couple of new holes (one in the radiator flange and one is the left side outer unabiker guard), I didn't get the warping issue.I promise, I'll postsome pics soon.

My solution to the front fender hitting the clutch cable isn't elegent, but it works. Heated the fender enough to make it pliable and gave it a slight bend to provide extra clearance. On that subject,how much clearance does any aftermarket front fender provide?

Old 10-30-2007, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Dan,

I'm looking forward to your follow up post. I haven't taken the Dremel tool to the radiator shroud rib that is interferring yet so, I want to see what you did before I start cutting.

THANKS!
Sid

Old 10-31-2007, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks like my diagram above is incorrect wrt the hole drilled into the radiator flange.

So here are the pics:

Left side with the radiator guard and shroud installed.

New hole in the Unabiker radiator guard - lines up with the lower captured nut on the radiator flange.

On edge view of the same.

Top of the radiator. The bolt and nut goes through a new hole in the radiator flange. I'm using a lock nut on the inside and a
short socket head screw. This is here that grounding wire connects too.

With the side guard removed. Now you can see the surgery on the radiator flange and the new hole in the flange.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

That lower looks like mine. Instead of drilling a new hole, I think I'm going to do some dremel surgery on the plastic rib first. By getting the shroud body closer to the Unabiker brace, I think the holes will line up.

The trimming on the top hole doesn't look like mine. Actually, the top of the left side bolted up a whole lot easier then the one on the right side. I wonder if the manufacturing in Thailand has some variation in it causing some dimensional differences?

Old 10-31-2007, 04:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Also, I wanted let the two Canadian orders know that I will be on travel for a little while so, it will be a week or so before I can do a mailbox check for the money orders. I've got a mail hold in place so, there is no risk of loss from my mailbox.

The two remaining black guards appear to be destined for a partial trip with me since I won't hit the post office tomorrow. You might get lucky and get a nice post mark on the package from some small town post office in Arizona, Nevada, or California. Heck, if Furnace Creek has a Post Office I might wait so I can mail them from Death Valley ...

Old 10-31-2007, 01:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't have to make any mods to get my gaurds to fit. I did have to leave all of the bolts loose on the left plastic cover to get the bottom front bolt to line up and it wasn't easy...but, fit ok and everything looks lighned up and straight.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../leftcover.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...in/lefttop.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...n/P1010024.jpg
Make sure You have the gaurds all the way against the frame on all the front bolts...

Old 10-31-2007, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

Also, I wanted let the two Canadian orders know that I will be on travel for a little while so, it will be a week or so before I can do a mailbox check for the money orders. I've got a mail hold in place so, there is no risk of loss from my mailbox.

The two remaining black guards appear to be destined for a partial trip with me since I won't hit the post office tomorrow. You might get lucky and get a nice post mark on the package from some small town post office in Arizona, Nevada, or California. Heck, if Furnace Creek has a Post Office I might wait so I can mail them from Death Valley ...
You got both my checks already right?

Old 10-31-2007, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Nevermind....just checked my bank records....2 chashed checks [&:]